FatNasty's 1990 CV CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir, can you do me a favor?

Take 6-8 more pictures for me of the engine, as if you were looking down the side of the engine where the header tubes would go down, on either side of the engine. Take as many pics as you want, and move around left to right, up and down, but the purpose of doing this is to get an idea of what obstructions are in the way, via' 'looking down the tunnel', concerning installation of a set of tri-y or long-tube headers (I still want to see if these Doug Thorley Tri-y headers fit a box).

For an example of what I'm talking about, picture #7 above is almost perfect, but you need to move closer to the car, and then move around just a bit...and then do the same thing on the driver's side.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Shit, sorry. I already had the exhaust and most of it back together yesterday, so i couldn't get more pics as it was

Well, put everything back together. wouldn't start, turns out i put the plug wires on clockwise. Once i fixed that it fired, but i killed it right away when the oil gauge read zero. Thats what i'll be diagnosing tomorrow, its dark now. Really hoping its something stupid like the gauge wire is loose. I'm leaning towards the distributor not connecting to the driveshaft right, something looked funny about it. I'll prime it and have someone watch the gauge tomorrow to verify. It better not be something big, if i got to pull that motor back out i'll be livid. Already completely sick of working on it.

pics
      Attached Files

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
      1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Did you prime the oil system ahead of time? You can tell if its got pressure because the drill will load down. If you don't have a primer, but have a spare distributor you can just remove the gear from a distributor and chuck a drill onto the shaft.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Engine looks sick sitting in there. Hopefully the oil situation is something silly and easily fixed.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty View Post
            It better not be something big, if i got to pull that motor back out i'll be livid. Already completely sick of working on it.
            If it is blown up, I will give you $50 of your American dollars and two camels for it!

Originally posted by FatNasty View Post
            Shit, sorry. I already had the exhaust and most of it back together yesterday, so i couldn't get more pics as it was
            You did it on purpose! You just bolted in all of the exhaust system for the sole purpose of getting out of having to take pictures of it!

Oh well, maybe next time.

Comment

Well, the good news is the oil pressure issue is no longer an issue. The dizzy just wasn't seating right on the pump driveshaft. Was much more obvious in the daytime. I had made a pump primer tool out of the bottom of the explorer distributor thing and welded a rod to the end. Tested it on the motor i had taken out first, but forgot that i had taken the oil sensor out. Of course as soon as i turned on the drill, i got a shoe full of oil.

So anyways, changed socks, primed the motor, dropped the distributor back in correctly and started it. 60+ psi.

Now the bad part, i started it and it was very loud. Start setting the timing and the closer i get it, the louder it got. Then noticed the exhaust getting HOT. Shut it off, it had been less than a minute running i'd say. Both sides of the exhaust were smoking pretty good, and the back of the manifold and first cat were glowing red. When i say it was loud, it kinda sounded like a car with open exhaust at a high rpm. I'm guessing its hot because its lean, what are the likely causes of this?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

Ok, the lean problem and high idle are solved. Super easy fix, cause was me being an idiot. Forgot to put a plate over the egr holes on the egr spacer. So basically had a massive vac leak. Put the plate thing and gasket i made on, started it and it calmed way down. Didn't get way hot, idled about where it should. Was able to set the timing. Still seems rough though, kind of loud, and the motor shakes around a bit more than it should. Vac is still only 12 inches and fluttery so i'm thinking its still leaking somewhere. Not all that many places to check though. Hopefully that is the only problem remaining.

here's a vid, actually looks a lot better in the video. scott said lifters arent pumped up yet, and that it should calm down.

crappy pic, but here's the little plate i have blocking the egr holes.
                Attached Files

Comment

Fucker wont start at all now, it ran really bad for about a minute then died. has spark and smells like gas. Gave up and bought a half gallon of vodka, now i'll drink til i cant feel feelings anymore.

Comment

Take a break and come back to it in a couple of days.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

It looks damn good for a budget build!

I usually find that some time away from a project to think is beneficial. Its when I don't take the time that something usually gets broken in a fit or rage.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The lifters will pump and it'll shut up. Oldschool's motor sounded like that at first. If you prime them long enough it will get oil up top but most of the time that doesn't happen. You're supposed to do it with the valve covers off and run the drill until oil comes out of the pushrods, but most folks (including myself) don't prime them until its together enough to make that impractical on an EFI motor. If you run the drill till the smoke comes out of it, thats about long enough most of the time.

Check your vacuum lines. I found the PCV line popped off Oldschool's car when we were having running problems at first.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still not starting. Verified that the distributor is where it should be. Its getting spark. pulled a couple plugs and they are black, wet, and smell like gas. Is it possible i'm not getting a strong enough spark to fire or what? Also, double checked all the vac lines and nothing was loose. Not really many that could come loose, not running any egr or smog stuff.

Comment

Possible. If it won't jump 1/2" of gap with a blue-white spark, its too weak. At this point you may want to pull all the plugs, crank it to clear the fuel out, dry the plugs, and try again.

Comment

Pulled the plugs, with the exception of number 5 because i cant get a wrench on that one with the 90TC manifolds. Dried them off, and cranked the motor several times with them out. Reinstalled and nothing. pulled a plug and it was wet again. and tested the spark to it, it sparks fine. Tested spark from the coil and it easily jumped 1/2 to 1 inch. More of an orange white spark though. Don't remember perfectly because i soon after grounded myself or something and got a nice shock. even with welding gloves on. Any ideas now?

Comment

orange sounds a bit weak. If you have a spare coil, give that a shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X