No announcement yet.

The F250 AKA "Pebbles"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, tried starting it today, no dice. It's got spark and fuel, but all it does is crank, doesn't even try to start. It may have something to do with the electric choke, which isn't working for some reason. I ordered a downpipe for the truck a while ago, cost me $70. It was supposedly designed for these motors, but the fucker doesn't fit. Hits the trans crossmember, can bolt it up to the rear manifold, nice big gap between it and the front. Guess I'll have to shell out the cash and have custom pipes made. Can't return the downpipe, I've already modified it. I noticed the starter wire is getting hot too as I crank it, don't crank it all that long either, maybe 10 seconds. Don't know if that's normal or not.

This sucks.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
      No you dont - you can use a cheap A/F gauge with a $20 one wire O2 sensor to tell if you're running too rich or too lean... you just cant fine tune with it...
      well what's the point then - you can tell all that by the spark plugs, and you'll need to read them anyways to set the advance right

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
        For this you'll need the wide-band sensor, which is expensive - just throw in a vacuum gauge that you can see as you drive, then use that and the plug reading chart and you'll be fine.
        There's always the JAW (Just Another Wideband) option if you're willing to do a little soldering. I'm thinking of getting one of these myself...

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

its hard to check the spark plugs while its running you could be running it lean WOT and melt a piston before you even have a chance to check the plugs.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Pete, well of course, but if you know what you're doing it should be highly unlike you're THAT far off on yhe jetting for a stock engine - whenever I had to mess with a new carb I'd first check out what other folks are running for a similar engine, then check what the carb manufacturers install in the carb I deem most suitable for my purposes, then go from there, I always well in the safe zone, and always a bit on the rich side as well.

As for checking the sparkplugs while running - some folks here try to check the fan clutch with the engine running, so what's a few sparkplugs :p

Comment

Heheheeeeeee!

If you notice, that's not the Holley on the intake, it's my 1406 Edelbrock. Truck would not start with the Holley, but runs great with the Edel. Figures. Anyway, there it is. Still have to fab the throttle cable and finish the exhaust.

Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Awesome! And, for some reason, that pic is freakin' sweet.

Comment

good job Jon I knew you could do it :P
                  People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

the 390 Holley was a turd eh? That sucks but at least its not the end of the world. Doesn't sound half bad, though its hard to really tell with open manifolds.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Jon, two things - wires, and PCV vacuum port. You know what I'm talking about, right?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        the 390 Holley was a turd eh? That sucks but at least its not the end of the world. Doesn't sound half bad, though its hard to really tell with open manifolds.
                        manifold*

Looks and sounds great Jon. I love the Ford I6's. You're encouraging me to do bad (expensive) things with my truck's 300ci.

Comment

Doesn't the 300 EFI use exhaust manifolds?

Tis good that it is running. Are you planning to keep the 1406 indefinitely, or are you going to switch to something smaller?
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yep the 300 ( 4.9L ) EFI exhaust manifolds are two seperate manifolds. They are basically cast iron shorty headers. They have three cylinders feeding each of them. And they each have there own outlet. So it makes running dual exhuast on a inline 6 real easy!

It should run fine with the 1406 on it.
                            Last edited by Fordman75; 05-12-2008, 11:56 AM.

Comment

sweet love the sound john

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Ivan, I know what you mean

I just wanted to get the bastard running, and then work on wiring and such. I have the pvc port taped off with electrical tape, forgot to plug it, couldn't figure out why the engine was running so choppy. I have a vid of it running that way too, sounds like it's got a nice lumpy cam in there lol

Fordman-Thanks, I was thinking 600 cfm is way too much, but I guess it's okay. If I can figure out what the deal with the Holley is I'll use that, just because I have it, and because the Edel was meant for GL.
                                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Working...
                                X