No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruised out to east this morning and snapped a couple pics before the sunrise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6752.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	1388413

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	1388414

Name:	IMG_6751.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1388415

Name:	IMG_6749.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	1388416
    When I got back a light wash was in order (ONR and bead maker) before putting the cover back on. Was away the past few weeks so it was nice to stretch its legs.

Name:	IMG_6755.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	1388417
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Had a great opportunity mid January to pick up some spare two door doors from a 1984 grand marquis from a junkyard in Huntsville Alabama. I was driving down to New Orleans in a large van and I had to nab them!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6225.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	1389128

The past few days I was working on stripping down the drivers side door of all its trim and paint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6810.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	1389130

the door was fully stripped down with an Eastwood contour sct and any surface rust putting was then sand blasted and coated in rust encapsulator.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6811.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	1389125

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6815.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	1389126

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6819.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	1389127

After the encapsulation was cured I sanded everything back down to 120 grit and applied a couple nice coats of epoxy primer so the door can be ready for use in the future.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6820.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	1389129

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6821.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	1389131

End results is very nice. Much props to anyone doing this as a profession. I do enjoy it but it is a lot of work just to get to this clean slate point in the body work. Having it in epoxy gives me a good foundation to do body work if I ever need to swap this door on. I’ll get to the passenger side door maybe next year around this time.......I also have a spare trunk lid that could use the same treatment...maybe two years from now. lol
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-30-2023, 05:51 PM.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Kudos to you for stashing body parts! Dang things are so big, it takes a real effort to store them.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yeah...Just to name the BIG parts...I have a spare header panel, two front bumpers, one rear bumper, drivers and passengers side fender, radiator core support, trunk lid, hood, two drivers side doors and one passengers side door. There will be a time where they are even harder to get so I know the effort is worth it.
          ~David~

Comment

I missed those dusky pictures when you initially posted them. Very nice, those wheels are my favorite for that car. The center caps and bright lip go with all the other brightwork on the car. I dig the lights too, incandescies are becoming so rare that I really take notice any time I see them. Very sharp car.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Nice! How long did it take to strip the paint with the SCT?
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                I missed those dusky pictures when you initially posted them. Very nice, those wheels are my favorite for that car. The center caps and bright lip go with all the other brightwork on the car. I dig the lights too, incandescies are becoming so rare that I really take notice any time I see them. Very sharp car.
                Thanks. I like them a lot. They are just not the easiest to keep looking clean but worth it.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                Nice! How long did it take to strip the paint with the SCT?
                Took under an hour. I used the 40 grit stripping disc first then followed up with a finishing disc. I used my 3” da and 120 to go around the lower door trim rivits and some small 2” stripping rolocs around the door handle pocket. And it was all ready to primer.

The door jamb side of the door though is much more intricate. I used a wire wheel on an angle
                grinder and cleaned up all the seams and followed that up with a 2” and 3” da with 80 and 120 grit sand paper to get that all ready for rust encapsulator and epoxy primer. Id say that took double the time as compared to the face of the door. Still very worth it though.
                ~David~

Comment

The epoxy cured up nice over the past few days.

amazing the temps vehicles are subjected to out in the elements.

Name:	IMG_6825.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1389197
                  ~David~

Comment

honestly amazing the electronics in them survive as well as they do.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dave how is it that you were in Alabama???

Comment

I need to find a trunk lid, two front fenders, and both doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          Kudos to you for stashing body parts! Dang things are so big, it takes a real effort to store them.
                          LOL fortunately Dave does not live in a NYC apartment!

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                            Dave how is it that you were in Alabama???
                            Work trip driving to New Orleans back in January.
                            ~David~

Comment

Took her out this morning. Was all washed up and put away before 6:00. am. . Oh and I tested the line loc out just for fun. Still works like a champ!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6974.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	1390456

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6973.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	1390458

a quick pic of the Mercedes…. With the ass of the Vic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6978.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	1390457

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6977.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1390460

Name:	IMG_6979.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	1390459
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6980.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	1390461

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6981.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	1390462

~David~

Comment

Cleaned up the engine compartment, treated the vinyl
                                top with 303aerospace protectant and gave the interior some loving too.

Name:	IMG_7048.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	1390770

Name:	IMG_7050.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	1390771

Name:	IMG_7049.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	1390772

Name:	IMG_7051.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1390774

also snapped a pic with the new wagon in the neighbor hood. It’s a 1990.

Name:	IMG_7047.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	1390773

~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X