No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, it took me a few hours of cleaning to get the bulk of that mess out of the nooks and crannies on my car. Its still not completely clean.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if they are slow you gotta take the motor apart and clean or replace the brushes.....i've installed the dorman window motor, nice stuff, and it worked good

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ahh so thats the trick. My friends clapped out 87 gt t top was completely dead. We pulled it out and the motor would just turn over very little removed form the regulator. I gave him a replacement and took his motor home. Removed the pills and stuff, and it still wouldnt move. I just said F it chopped the plug and wires off of it and threw the rest away lol.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah I polish up the commutators and put a smidge of grease on the sleeve bearings when I do a full on rebuild. Sometimes adjusting the preload with that nut/screw thing on the end helps a bit too. Back it off just a smidge and if the motor runs faster, leave it there.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            What are you replacing them with that they go to hell so fast? Regular parts store replacement?
            Yea, a store we have up here called Bond Auto. They are good strong motors, and they didnt have any problem giving me a new one when the passenger one died. I think its a lifetime warrenty on them, I cant remember what they cost...like 50 bucks per motor or something
            -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
            -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              yeah I polish up the commutators and put a smidge of grease on the sleeve bearings when I do a full on rebuild. Sometimes adjusting the preload with that nut/screw thing on the end helps a bit too. Back it off just a smidge and if the motor runs faster, leave it there.
              Very cool. Definitely have to keep that in mind for the future. I was always under the assumption that they had a shelf life, and some motors eventually reach it.

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
              Yea, a store we have up here called Bond Auto. They are good strong motors, and they didnt have any problem giving me a new one when the passenger one died. I think its a lifetime warrenty on them, I cant remember what they cost...like 50 bucks per motor or something
              That ain't bad then, Would suck if you had to pay for new ones every time one decided to quit on you. I wonder if something else is going on though in your window mechanisms. Maybe some components are worn out or something putting a larger load than normal on the motor?
              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-31-2010, 10:15 AM. Reason: shelf not self.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The only thing I've found thats absolutely fatal on the window motors is when the magnets come out with the rotor. Once that happens, its trash.

Warranty or no, I wouldn't want to be taking my doors apart that often. The best warranty is one you never need.

Comment

Second stage of compound is done on everything but the header panel, roof, and trunk. One more stage to go...then repaint the drivers side fender and p.side header panel...then I can begin to assemble my car that has been apart of eternity. The finish on the car right now is amazing with only the second stage of compound complete!!!
                  ~David~

Comment

Magnaflow Muffler Install

My dad installed the mufflers for me today. Took over 6 hours! But it looks great, and he did a stupendous job making everything look non hackish

Had to cut down the mid pipes I had a bit and weld in the 2-1/4 ID to 2-1/2 OD so everything looked good. I could have clamped them together but i wanted that part solid. I did clap in the mufflers though as I didnt want my dad welding them.....he nor I are great at welding, though he did impress me with his welding on the second mid pipe (second on the day was the passengers side)

He also made factory looking brackets to hold the mufflers in place. I really like what he did.

I shot a little high temp aluminum paint over the welds to help them keep longer

Looks good. Planning to get some turn downs made up for them. BUt right now running them right like you see them. exhaust gasses right out of the muffler

Drivers side bracket

Passengers side bracket

And a little video..I had to rush it as the low battery light was flashing

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MOV03699.mp4

They sound really mellow in the video but in person they are not as quite. They sound nice...and hopefully they sound nicer as they 'break in'
                    ~David~

Comment

Oh and if anybody wants the factory dual exhaust muffler hangers/heat shields let me know asap and I will pull them for you. they are very solid. all Ford pieces. Drivers side still had the Ford sticker on it from when my dad installed the dual exhaust a number of years ago. PM me and they are yours for shipping.
                      ~David~

Comment

Sounds good. I've been tossing around the idea of changing my mufflers out to Magnaflows.

Comment

Thanks. Listening the video on my computer it just sound like a normal muffler, similar to the dynomax mufflers that were on the car...but off the car they are rumbly above idle and mellow at idle. I think part of the problem is me using a "camera" with a video function to record videos...A video camera would be more suited for these type of things. EDIT: Just listened again with double muffed headphones and the sound was much better and close to the actual sound of the car...I guess laptop speakers aren't the greatest.

In the car with the exhaust flow ending right before the rear it is loud. I gotta make up some turn down to help push the sound down a bit so it does not continue flowing up into the body of the car.
                          Last edited by 87gtVIC; 11-07-2010, 01:16 AM.
                          ~David~

Comment

Both things do have an effect on the sound - a good mic on the camera is crucial to catch the sound, and of course on dinky PC speakers you won't hear it all either. Your cam is ok, I have my PC hooked up to my home stereo, and I heard the low rumbles.
                            It sounds good!
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Nice. Glad everyone but myself can enjoy the tone of the exhaust. lol well I can enjoy it in person. :p
                              ~David~

Comment

The mufflers look good.

Not too loud is always good. You could be like me with a dumped single chamber... driving into work at 6 am with every piece of the interior trim buzzing away. Resonsance is a bish.

My red car was always pretty loud with the headers, aftermarket converters and 40 series Flowmasters. Used to resonate in the back seat bad.

I've heard good stuff about the Magnaflow mufflers; people on the Dodge forum love those things. I will be looking at something loud, but resonance free when I do the exhaust on the truck again. The sound will change with tailpipes, too.
                                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                                X