LTDMan's '87 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Big Red) *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bodywork has begun.

Got started this week on ripping off the vinyl top, and also fixing some of the rust on the outside of the body panels.

Enjoi teh pics...

Right after ripping the vinyl off. This thing was a bitch and a half to get off. I think mine was superglued on, heh heh.

The only rust areas were at the rear of the C-pillar seams. Probably pretty common, as this top was in perfect condition, and wasn't even cracked at all to let moisture in.

Shot of the rivets that need to be ground/drilled out.

First, the rivets were ground away.

Then, since it was gonna be sitting for awhile, before I could get to it again, I went ahead and fixed the C-Pillar seam rust. It was Sandblasted, Etched, and then E-Coated.

A few days later, I decided I'd better start on eliminating the exterior Body Panel Rust, before it gets any worse. Starting with the Decklid and Rear Quarters. Here is a before shot, obviously had been sitting with crappy primer covering the bare metal areas for awhile.

After alot of sanding, it is now rust free, and sealed off from moisture and further rust, with a nice thick E-Coat.

Also, finally got around to Stripping, Painting, and Installing my new Wagon Front Sway Bar. Painted with a rust-resistant Red Base, and then topcoated with Canyon Red Metallic, to make it nice and pretty. Almost too pretty to install, almost.

Brackets painted with a rust-resistant red base.

Installed. Also de-greased the chassis and motor a little beforehand. Still looks a little out of place, with nothing else being painted. Damn sure firmed up the cars handling quite abit though, over the stock, solid 1 inch bar.

Next, I get to go through the ultra fun task of removing all the old glue, left behind from the vinyl, oh boy...

More to come soon, as more progress happens.

Stay Tuned.

Comment

cool looking forward to it!
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

im diggin that power antenna!
        Lets Go Pens!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          cool looking forward to it!
          Yea, I'm gonna be doing 100% of the work myself, from working the body over, to Painting the jambs and exterior, so this should be a pretty interesting project for you all to watch.

Originally posted by thunderbirdlver View Post
          im diggin that power antenna!
          Thanks man. Some MGM's came from the factory with Power Antenna's on the PS Rear Quarterpanel, but I have never seen any others with one on the DS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a couple of free hours after work today, so I brought out the Body Tools on Big Red. I managed to almost completely smooth out all 3 of the major dents on her body, in metal. She looks better already. Only a few small dings are left now, and will be taken care of with filler, when the time comes.

She is coming along rather nicely! I've never had a car that was this easy to work on, everything just seems to go right with this car for some reason. Not that I'm complaining, it's just unusual for me as everything that I work on usually fights me, so I just automatically expect it from the get-go, lol.

Comment

You should turn the white letters out
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
              X2
              sigpic
              Current Rides
              67 Cougar XR7
              97 Mountaineer 5.0
              03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                These tires don't have enough tread left on them, to be worth the $50 it would cost at the tire shop.

When I get ready to buy new tires I probably am gonna go with RWL tires, in 225/70/15 form, as I would like this car to have a little more aggressive look to it, and Whitewalls just don't do it.

Comment

the heck with rwl......16" tires make for a better handling panther

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

do you have any clue where that aftermarket sway bar is from on the rear????
                    sigpic
                    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

WOW. I am speachless as to your dedication

Great job! This should be one hell of a ride when you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire View Post
                        do you have any clue where that aftermarket sway bar is from on the rear????

I bought that sway bar from Summit Racing. I found it by searching for sway bars for the Vic of the same year range. It bolted straight on after drilling holes on each crosssmember for the bolts.
                        sigpic

Cardomain page

"It's not rocket surgery!!"

Comment

Do You still have that part number.....pleazzzz

Comment

I searched Summit for you guys, under both Crown Victoria and LTD Crown Victoria, and I couldn't find this particular 1.25in Rear Sway-Bar. Although they do have a differently shaped 7/8in one that looks like it might fit, with some modification. Kinda expensive at $175 though.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            the heck with rwl......16" tires make for a better handling panther
                            Yea, I know scott, I just like my turbines too much to give them up for HPP's or steelies, and certainly not anything chromed.

Originally posted by OneBadLSE View Post
                            WOW. I am speachless as to your dedication

Great job! This should be one hell of a ride when you're done.

Thanks Man!

That is what I'm hoping!

Comment

That bar does look good!!! The whole car would look nice that color!
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                                That bar does look good!!! The whole car would look nice that color!
                                Thanks! That was just some cheap duplicolor rattlecan stuff there, but it came out great.

That is indeed the exact color that the car will be getting painted, it's factory color, Midnight Canyon Red Metallic. I usually am not much for red, or shades of red, but this really is a gorgeous color to see in person, out in the sunlight. It really glows/pops out in the sun, and even looks pearlescent in some lighting. It is not an easy color to spray though, as it will run fairly easily, and it is highly reflective of any surface imperfections. I kind of wanted to go Gloss Black at first, but this color has grown on me, and I now can't see her in any other color.

Comment

Working...
                                X