No announcement yet.

Bought a '88 P72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you just gadda accept the fack that you have another box...EMBRACE IT...i did lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
      good luck getting the fitting off of the prop valve
      +1 i used a little heat last time and i ended up melting the switch. big money mistake

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      Do those ever come off nicely? Ones I installed myself rusted up in like 2-3 years.
      Not often...
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

This thing doesn't have a prop valve

This is one of a few more things I discovered tonight...
        Steve (83marquisbeast) came over this evening to help me with the line, and I succeeded in nothing (except a few discoveries) but embarrassing myself!

The original plan was to patch in a 6 foot piece of line, since the original one wasn't rusted until it got past the bend in the frame. It started off great, i had made a perfect double flare, but i didn't put the fitting on first
        So after cutting off that flare, a bend was too close to the end of the line to get the fitting on with enough room for the tool. So after a vain attempt to un-bend the line just made another bend behind the one holding me up, I had to cut it back even more
        For the next attempt at the flare, I must not have had enough line poking out of the tool, because I wound up with a really big single flare
        So I cut it back some more... (getting close to where it goes under the firewall here) and this flare winds up as a mangled mess and a broken flare tool insert
        So now Im out of line...and we start poking around looking at taking the inner fender off to get at the prop valve... and something is looking funny.

Sure enough, the rear line goes right from the MC on down the frame rail.
        The front line goes into what is either just a junction block or a small prop valve for only the front. Odd...

So that will make replacing the line easier at least... i may just cap it off and drive it down to the shop to work the line mojo on the lift, if i can work it in on a day off.
        Anyone know if you can plug a brake outlet with a regular pipe plug or do you need a special plug with a flare shape in it?

I had bought the power steering hose to install too but obviously ran out of time...

Another few interesting things I found poking around include two of the original police antenna whips in the trunk
        Also this thing has ground straps on EVERYTHING... three going to the trunk lid, each upper control arm is 'strapped' to the frame, and other odd places I can't think of at the moment.
        We also found two cans of un-labeled mystery spray foam stuff... probably either glass cleaner or tire foam.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Sounds like you got hit by Murphy's Laws of Brake Line Fabrication. I've only done a few brake lines, and I forget how many good flares I've had to cut off because I forgot the dang nut.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

ha, i dont know how many lines ive done, then dont for get the odd red metric flare nut that pops up in the brake line plumbing

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

lol.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah last night was a demonstration in murphy's law. but we learned a little bit about the car, and that's all that matters (besides getting shit fixed lol)
                88 CVPI - 5.0, lsc headers, punched cats, Cherry Bomb glasspacks, transgo shift kit, 3rd gen police console, 3rd gen push bar, KC Daylighters, wagon rear springs, soon to be 3.55 posi rear, all police antennas and spotlight, 216k on orignal motor, trans, and rear.
                90 Festiva - 1.6 dohc turbo pushing 15 psi, full coil overs, 6 puck clutch. Daily whip that shits and gets. 30 mpg!

Comment

No prop valve? Bizzare. Wonder if thats a 91 thing or a police thing. Never seen anything that didn't have a prop valve of some sort before that wasn't a wierdo ABS system.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i doubt it is a 91 thing as this vehicle is an 89. :p
                    ~David~

Comment

Could it have something to do with the larger drum brakes and the new style master cylinder?
                      The rear outlet on the MC has one of those large brass in-line things.. Im guessing its a restrictor?
                      Its also metric (speaking of metric fittings...) and a bubble flare :confused: so I convinced a co-worker to put a bubble flare on the end of my new 4-foot piece of line. And to borrow his quality double flare tool...
                      It was raining after work today, so I'll be seeing how hopefully-not-to-horribly-sloppily I can bend this line tomorrow, if weather permits
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

hmm bubble flare on a 89........glad i got my brandy new bubble flare tool for 22 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          i doubt it is a 91 thing as this vehicle is an 89. :p
                          errr, yeah duh. can't keep track of all these cars people have. Hell I can't even keep track of my own junk lol.

As for the bigger rears, dunno. My 86 had larger rear brakes and a prop valve. I'm pretty sure the newer style MC has a prop valve down there on the frame, but I've never really looked at a new style MC with big drums.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                            Could it have something to do with the larger drum brakes and the new style master cylinder?
                            The rear outlet on the MC has one of those large brass in-line things.. Im guessing its a restrictor?
                            Its also metric (speaking of metric fittings...) and a bubble flare :confused: so I convinced a co-worker to put a bubble flare on the end of my new 4-foot piece of line. And to borrow his quality double flare tool...
                            It was raining after work today, so I'll be seeing how hopefully-not-to-horribly-sloppily I can bend this line tomorrow, if weather permits
                            I used a wooden broom handle for tight bends because my brake line bender tool couldnt do any tight 90 degree bends etc....and after that i just really dropped the bender tool altogether...as long as your are gentle your hands and some curved things around the yard can help out.
                            ~David~

Comment

no progress yet - I got held up yesterday, in the best way... a lady friend came to visit

I hope to be cruisin' it this weekend, if I can get to the DMV in time
                              Inspection is still expired though, so i wont be going far from home
                              sigpic

Comment

It's all a disease, I tell you.
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X