Bought a '88 P72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a good axle and bearing in today finally! tech thread here
    It's snowing and wet here so I haven't been able to double check to see if I've dun' good or not.
    I also put the p71 caps on it, mmmmm....! I drove it around for about an hour today, still running well! It feels peppier than the 91. I'm thinking of using it as the winter snow mobile... its got the best tires for snow and i could keep the trunk full of wood. If it does well, may have to put the good door panel parts on and detail the inside a little. Those bucket seats sure are cozy...
    Attached Files
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Looking good!
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looking very good! I dig the '98 centercaps on 15" wheels.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

God I'd love to have that car... Trade you a fixed-up Isuzu pickup!

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
          1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

nice!

.....trade?

Comment

I'm open to trades!

But first I need to fix this bad parasitic draw that just popped up... I killed two batteries in about 6 hours last night... thank goodness I have 3 vehicles Otherwise I would have had to hijack the roommate's Exploder to go to work this morning... he doesn't get up till lunchtime anyway.
              I thought it was the cig lighter shorting out because I tried to use it for the 1st time yesterday and it never popped back out. I did pull the lighter back out but I figured it may be defective inside. Sure enough the socket was hot (was getting current) so i unplugged it, but I still woke up to a dead battery after letting it run for about half an hour last night.

How common is a bad alternator diode guilty of a draw?
              I'm going to investigate tonight if the weather stays dry. Might be time for a 3G for this thing...
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I have heard multiple people complain about deadbeat alternators as the root of constant battery drain, so swapping to a 3g is not a bad idea anyway. Consider swapping one of your other cars alternators (assuming that your 91 is non 3g) into this one and see the results?
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It's probably one of those fancy police alternators, me thinks..
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

oh yeah.That totally slipped my mind.
                    ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                      It's probably one of those fancy police alternators, me thinks..
                      I thought they were just bigger versions of the firetrap alternators?
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Almost, they are larger versions of the externally regulated (1G) alts, also found in boxes with the front windshield defrost grid. A 3G for this would mean I'd get to clean up lots of mess...
                        Damn rain... I might get to mess with it tomorrow. At least I got the batteries charged back up.
                        sigpic

Comment

did all 351s (as in, canadian 351s) get the bigger alternator, or just you fancy-shmancy cop car owners?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

no idea if it was standard on all 351s. here, only the police cars got a 351, and the police package included the 100 amp alternator.

Testing the draw is easy if you have an ammeter. Just hook it up, and then pull the wire off the alternator to see if it changes. I'd expect the alternator to feel a little warm if the diode is shorted though. I'd also figure you'd see lower than normal charge voltage, or at least a wierd ripple that would probably show up with pulsing headlights or a dancing voltmeter.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well i just checked it, and sure enough its a draw from the alternator...
                              It was charging 13.3 when the 1st battery died, I thought that could be better. The only time i drove it at night like this it was quick and rainy so I may not have noticed the headlights acting funny. i did feel like there was some extra noise coming from under the hood reminiscent of 'bad-out-of-the-box' alternators Ive installed.
                              Time for a forced upgrade! I noticed this thing uses a weird blend of 1G wiring and fire hazard wiring, particularly the push-in spade connection for the charge wires near the air box. It will be good to get rid off all that and the regulator/wiring...

Im heading to the pick n save for a big 3G or a little 3G and some brackets, and another Explorer charge wire.

Oh yeah, all this time I've been forgetting to mention that the AMP warning light never comes on, even with the motor off and key on. Could this be part of 'dark mode'? The engine and seat belt lights do come on though...
                              I noticed this when I bought it and just made sure it was charging, never thought about looking into it again.
                              sigpic

Comment

Got some good stuff at the yard - it was 25% off electronics so I grabbed more than I needed. I didn't see any recently-replaced 3G's small or large, so I pulled the one large case I found (off a 95 3.8 taurus). I did find a recently-replaced 100 amp 1g unit though, so I nabbed that too in case the 3G is a dud.
                                Got two explorer charge harnesses, a wiper switch and a MF switch from low mileage boxes, a nice not-bent turn signal lever for the 88, and a nifty SPDT relay holder from a F150.

I lolly-gagged around too much so i lost daylight before I had time to install anything...
                                Soon though, soon!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X