No announcement yet.

1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops! I've just spotted from the photos of the battery that I've fitted it the wrong way round!! Connected okay, but 180 degrees out!!

Bet you were all too polite to say :whistle:

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I saw that but figured you meant to place it that way because it just looks neater with the wires not crossing.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the battery in my 88 has the positive terminal near the fender, but away from the tie-bar... I figured you just couldn't get a battery like that (terminal reversed from the one you have) so you ran the wires over the top to keep it neat and not cross them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not had much progress with mine over the last couple of weeks. Really busy at work and its passed its annual test, so just waiting for my holidays to start the exterior bodywork.

In the meantime, I decided to upgrade the stereo to one that actually works and doesn't have a tape deck. Got this one quite cheap from a friend, and it has MP3 and plays the usual writable CD technology. Video out as well for future built in monitors.

Old connectors cut off and new ISO connectors wired in-using heat shrinkable sleeving of course

Heres the ISO connector in the back.

Intestingly, the wiring diagram on the unit itself was wrong!! Good job I spotted it first!

I even utilised the old rear "railing" system for it

Heres the new look. yeah I know it looks out of place but it sounds good!! May paint the surround black though.

Andy.
          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Looks good to me. And damn is it easy for you guys with the updated dash to access the back side of the radio. 89 and down...forget about even snapping a picture lol
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Okay, before the big bodywork starts in my holidays (5 weeks), lets sort out a few issues.

Flashing airbag light first. Really annoying. Supposedly been on for years.

Flashing code 8, which is a ground problem to one of the front 3 sensors.

So, each one out and tested and bolted back down to clean metal

Front right and front left give good readings and are reinstalled. Ground circuit to PCM from both is fine.
              So it must be the centre one then?
              Heres a view of it removed

The steel has corroded and pushed away from the circuitry and has got an actual hole in it.

Heres a view from the underside and you can just see a gap where the steel has parted.

Whats the chance of water and pressure damaging the PCB inside?
              And whats the chance of getting hold of another sensor like that?
              Anybody got one lying around?!!

So, what other jobs need doing? After I fitted the stereo, the LCD clock is on full brightness and the stereo won't power down when the key is in acc or run????????

So, stereo out and wires checked. Must have been something I have done.

There is continual power to the yellow/black wire that comes from fuse 11 in the fuse box. This should be hot in acc or run, not all the time. So fuse pulled and guess what? Still power to the yellow/black wire!!! WTF?

According to the wiring diagrams I have (dealer), the yellow black wire feeds power to the power antenna (haven't got), amp for old radio (haven't got), and LCD dimming relay for old radio (relay removed) and new stereo (removed). But still power exists on the yellow/black wire!???????????

So, this offending wire is receiving no power from the fuse box (fuse removed), goes up under the dash and appears at the lcd dimming relay, the power antenna switch and the stereo. So it shouldn't have 12 volts to it. But it has!

The only possibility that remains is a melted wire within the loom. But how? So it looks as if the dash is coming out to remove all the old wiring insulation tape and check the entire dash loom for damage.

Oh well, more dismantling to do. At least its damn sunny here now, and far better than the -6 degrees I worked in during the winter!!

More to come..............................Seriously looking forward to the bodywork though.

Andy.
              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Andy I believe if you check the for sale forum you'll see a wagon being parted out. Might have one of the sensors in there.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Thanks 1990LTD.
                  I'll look into it.

By the way, did you receive my reply to the PM you sent me? Can't see any evidence I sent it!! Sorry for the bad manners if you didn't get it.

Hows your car jobs going?

Well, finally solved it! What a stupid thing it was.
                  Almost embarassing, but not.
                  The fault was assuming. I know, I know, you should never assume.

When the factory wiring was checked out, it was fine. When the new wires were soldered in, it wasn't fine. So it makes sense that I had done something wrong. But I double and triple checked the wiring colour to colour and it was okay.

Have a look at this photo, especially the black tape just above my finger

Now I ASSUMED that the tape was just holding the wires together. After all, what stupid idiot would join a permanently hot wire to an accy feed wire?

Heres a photo of it with the tape removed

That is a professional crimped join/splice. And that is where the power was being transferred to the yellow/black wire. But why would it be there? Remember this is a new stereo with no hacked wiring.

A few mins later and the crimp was off, the wires heat shrink insulated and we are back firing on all cylinders! So to speak.

Just 1 crimp was causing the electric windows to operate without the key, the LCD clock to stay illuminated and the stereo to stay powered up with the key out without manually switching it off. Still can't believe it.

We live and learn!

Andy.
                  www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

yes I did get a reply, thank you! my car stuff is coming - slowly but surely
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Nice one! keep us posted.

Tonight, I intended to start the process of removing the inner rear wheel arches and reduce the outer wheel arch lip in width and start reconstructing it all-including reprofiling the rear lower quarter panels.

BUT, got involved in servicing my dads car :whistle: Enjoyed it too much though. Took me away from the jobs in hand!

Tell you what though. Went out in it yesterday to the local country park with my youngest son (7) and my good lady Wife. I drove, my Wife sat on the passenger front and my little lad sat inbetween us on the bench seat! Was fantastic. All 3 on one seat, and still plenty of room.

Now what car can you do that in these days? Eh? Those days are gone! But not for us!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy.
                      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Heres a bit of mojo for me! A new set of rear light units for my wagon! $25 each. $20 shipping to the UK and a further $30 customs charge!!

Is it my age, or do they look sexy?!!!!!!!

Now must start the wood removal and get this thing in a state for paint. Been a bit lax lately. Been catching up on jobs that I didn't do over the long cold winter working on the wagon! Like servicing my Wife's Grand Voyager, my Dads Toyota Yaris and my custom camaro. All forgotten about since last october when it all started.............!

Andy.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

$30 cusoms fee to have something shipped in? Wow. Are those NOS lenses? If not, they look awful nice.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            $30 cusoms fee to have something shipped in? Wow. Are those NOS lenses? If not, they look awful nice.
                            Hi.
                            They are in fact OEM!

Andy.
                            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

wow... That's a good enough price to buy a pair to hang onto in case I ever get a country squire!!!
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

My headers cost me 40 bucks in customs fees. They love seeing car parts going across the U.S border.

Those tail lights look awesome.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X