1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
    Just 1 crimp was causing the electric windows to operate without the key, the LCD clock to stay illuminated and the stereo to stay powered up with the key out without manually switching it off. Still can't believe it.

We live and learn!

Andy.
    that's a problem? i would love to able to run out and power the windows up when it starts to rain with out trying to find the wife who glues the keys to her hip (only her cars have power windows) infact i remember having an accord wagon that was set up to do that with the alarm that was installed in it. i was very up set when i removed the alarm that i realized i had to use the key finaly

or was that causing other problem that i didnt read into?
    f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
    86 LTD wagon - wifes back up car
    slammed 86 pontiac wagon - back up dd
    79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Hi wagonmafia.
      Yeah it was convenient to close the windows like that, but unfortunately it was holding a relay shut that was running the battery flat slowly but surely!

Right here we go again! Holidays over, but not back to work quite yet. No more excuses.

This is the bit I want to change. The straight section at the bottom of the rear quarter panel, and the trim and the removal of the badge and the removal of the red marker light. Oh and the fake wood!!

Heres the interior trim and the rear seats removed on the passenger side.

Heres a view of the inner wheel arch joining the outer quarter panel. Notice the rust starting to show through.

If the car was repainted, it wouldn't be long before that ate its way through. So I am going to remove the outer half of the inner wheel arch and try to detach the inner wheel arch lip from the outer wheel arch lip cleanly. Then reshape, medai blast and repaint.

This is the bracket on the drivers side that the rear seat back bolts to and pivots on. That is rusty and will be removed and remade. One of the speed nuts (as we call them) has already rotted through.

Ready for cutting!

Andy.
      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

fun fun
        f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
        79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Heres more fun!

Right, if this thing is going to get a quality paint job, I don't want any rust bubbling through after a few months. So I need to dig deep and find any potential rust areas.

Rear wheel arch lips are notorious for corroding. So I need to remove part of the inner wheel arch and separate the inner lip from the outer one and have a look. Fun!!

Heres a view of some rust bubbling through at the bottom of the wheelarch towards the back.

Lets see how bad it really is

Now lets go inside and remove the inner wheel arch section.
          Line marked for cutting

Starting the cut so the air saw can get in

Heres what my air saw did

Heres the state of the rear quarter panel after all remains of the inner one has gone

Its actually not too bad. A few pinholes but nothing that cant be saved with some media blasting and a small bit of welding.

These areas would have made a real mess of new paint after a few months.

Heres an interesting shot. Notice the rust creeping under the lower panel corner. Bet you can't guess what that would eventually do?!!

Blasting tomorrow.

Andy.
          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I like your style man. You seem to have the same vehicular OCD that I do lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

OCD is about right!!

Anyway, back to the plot!
              Whellarch lip repair and width reduction (sounds like cosmetic surgery!).

The wheel arch lip is way too wide, so here is my famous air saw in action again

Then I got involved in a friends rusty maxda mx5 rockers! Its sometimes not good to be the local welder/fabricator 'cos I get asked to do loads of jobs.

Anyway, reshaping quarter panel tomorrow (unless I get asked to do something else!)

Andy.
              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Today is quarter panel reshaping day.

Heres the panel under the rear bumper marked for cutting.

And heres the cut

Heres my friend Jay sat waiting to bend the quarter panel up. So this is the original shape

and this is the panel bent

I think it looks a lot better!

Andy.
                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

that really is a much more pleasing and less clunky looking angle you've created. Very creative.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I'm not familiar with the shape of the wagons...did you return it to the original shape, or did you bend it to a better one?

Either way, it looks good!

sigpic
                    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                      I'm not familiar with the shape of the wagons...did you return it to the original shape, or did you bend it to a better one?

Either way, it looks good!
                      Hi MrMarquis.
                      Heres the shape of the quarter panel before

Heres the shape of it after

I have curved it in to try and match the shape of the rest of the car!

Hope that makes sense!

Andy.
                      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

nice! seems like more of a sedan style lower quarter panel but on a wagon. i like.
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ummm how are you going to match up the rear bumper?
                          79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Please tell me your going to remove the spare tire "hump". that is always one thing that annoys the crap out of me on wagons.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by wagon mafia View Post
                              ummm how are you going to match up the rear bumper?
                              You must not have looked at the rest of the thread if you think this guy is going to have any problems matching anything up...!!!
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
                                Hi MrMarquis.
                                Heres the shape of the quarter panel before

Heres the shape of it after

I have curved it in to try and match the shape of the rest of the car!

Hope that makes sense!

Andy.

Never noticed this before, but now that I see it, it looks really crappy. But with the adjustments that have been made it looks like it should have been from the factory.
                                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X