Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what's funny? I haven't had a single 'start-up knock' since I swapped over to straight 80% straight-30/20% Lucas. In fact, aside from a very VERY faint ticking which I believe is comeing from the crankcase area, the engine now makes zero unusual mechanical noises.

No oil is being consumed, either. Fingers crossed.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

I got sick of my Rally heater only working enough to cool a 2" x 4" space on my windshield. This isn't terribly better, but it's something.

...best location to route wires?

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

So those 12V ceramic heaters don't work very well?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

not near as well as the stock heater. The BTU difference is nuts. The stock heater core would probably rate at 20K btu easily while the ceramic heaters are more like 1-2K.

now, I have thought of putting an electric in to augment the core (help the cab warm up faster), but yeah... lots of work for little gain.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Eugh... the electric one kinda sucks balls. I still, however wish to simplify my heating system. Isn't there a way to utilize a basic on-off switch and perhaps 'manual-ize' the heater flap? (or whatever controls the amount of air passing through the H/C)

It's not a super concern though, the old man agreed to pauy the bodyshop the deductible so I'll have my truck back soon, and my fiancee just joined the unemployment club so... she doesn't really need a car right now anyways.

So, uhhh... yeah.

Comment

make the blend door manual? simple, find an old box without ATC. its cable operated. i had one, but got scrapped with the rest of my parts car shell.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I see. See, thing is, I want to simplify the climate control to the point of deleting all but the defrost vents, and just have ON OFF for the fan. I don't see the point in going out and buying another climate control box just to hack it up.

Comment

Umm... instead of fussing with electric this and that wouldn't it just be easier to replace the heater core? You just mentioned your fiance won't be needing the car, so take your time and replace the core as time permits and you will have all the heat you will ever need. Driving a car w/o a functioning defroster in the winter is no fun.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                    Umm... instead of fussing with electric this and that wouldn't it just be easier to replace the heater core? You just mentioned your fiance won't be needing the car, so take your time and replace the core as time permits and you will have all the heat you will ever need. Driving a car w/o a functioning defroster in the winter is no fun.

^^^

i agree with tjc78 what you want to do with the car's climate control sounds to much involved to do when you can just replace the heater core. plus why would you want to go through all the trouble of deleting most of the climate control shit a/c is good to have in the summer.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Part of the work planned on this car is a MAJOR wire tuck. I want things as simple as possible... nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

to be honest, these cars are pretty simple with wiring. if you ever had the interior stripped out, you might agree. they only get a bit weird between the firewall and engine compartment(just cause you have crappy fuel injection lol). to convince you, try getting into the wiring of new car with all the gizmos and nav lol.

Comment

heck... you don't even need to go that far... just look at any OBDII car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

touche sly...touche

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                              to be honest, these cars are pretty simple with wiring. if you ever had the interior stripped out, you might agree. they only get a bit weird between the firewall and engine compartment(just cause you have crappy fuel injection lol). to convince you, try getting into the wiring of new car with all the gizmos and nav lol.

I'd be happier if there were a bulkhead connector at the firewall and other interfaces, but maybe that's just me. And it doesn't take into account my experience with our Cavalier when I discovered that things like replacement seals are impossible to come by.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i do agree with the bulk-head connector but, its not a huge harness that needs to be fed through.

Comment

Working...
                                X