Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaze's 86 SVt Vic (The on-going project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
    I'll be putting it in the middle, on the right side of the tunnel, angled towards me. It won't work with bench seats, but that's not really a problem for me now. I plan to be using it for drifting, so that's why I want it on the right side of me (one hand on the wheel at all times).
    Are the dinky little drum brake shoes inside the discs gonna be enough for that? I imagine part of it is the crappy stock e-brake pedal setup but mine don't have much stopping power.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

We'll find out......but if not I can always have a set of replacement shoes made by Carbotech.

Comment

Wait- can you please explain to me the brake lines again? You used the front lines from an '86 CV and they fit right to the hard line, which you bent downward to allow for clearance, then swapped to the banjo bolt for the newer calipers? I think I followed it, but my wife was kicking me in my ribs while I was reading, so it was hard to focus.

Would it be any more/less difficult to swap to an entire axle from a '94? I want different gears and traclock as well, so I'm thinking I may just swap the whole axle.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Amazing. You do good werk mang!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You can use rear brake hoses for an ABS car to get the same effect. The driver's side non-ABS line has 2 fittings on it. This retains the stock frame to axle rubber hose in the center, and the stock metal lines running across the rear axle.

You could swap the whole axle too, but you'd have no metal lines on the 90s rear axle assembly. The 90s brake plumbing runs down the frame, and the brake hose runs from the rear caliper to a mounting bolt on the frame. The ABS cars have a brake hose more like the fronts, one fitting in. The non-ABS cars have a 2 fitting driver's side line which is used as a Tee. The way that works is the line comes down the frame and into the brake hose. There is a second line that goes from the brake hose, across the frame above the rear shock mount points over to the passenger side where it connects to the other brake hose.

I plumbed mine like a mid 1990s non-ABS car because I had to replace all of the lines anyway, and I didn't feel like buying 3 rubber hoses. The metal lines were badly deteriorated as well, so there was no reason for me not to simply make the plumbing easy.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

a vic drifting, that will be epic lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                is there enough room? Know waht, I'll just measure, might try to tackle that (but I'll let blaze do it first ) I like my bench seats too much.
                Seems to be plenty of room with my old cop buckets. Need to meaure, though, and I should also try measuring some of the other combos I have on hand, too.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

scott ended up doing something creative for my brake park cable setup I forgot what he did but it turned out well. he ended up doing a bubble flare to the stock lines.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Hey Blaze mang, did you just order those ATE and R1 parts off the net? I am curios cuz my 94 needs some brake work.
                    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Yeah, I just ordered them online. I got the pads from TireRack and the rotors from R1concepts (though admittedly that was almost a year ago that I bought the rotors).

Comment

Ok, so the driver side caliper should be mounted towards the rear of the car. I just couldn't seem to get a firm pedal out of it, and then it hit me that the bleeder is on the bottom of the caliper instead of the top. So there is air trapped in my caliper.

I guess it's the OCD in me because I don't know why, but having one caliper on the front and the other on the back just makes me feel odd. I know it makes no difference, but I'm just odd like that. So I'm going to have to take my caliper off and hold it on the rear side so I can get a good complete bleed, then re-install it.

But for future reference mount the passenger side towards the front, and the driver side towards the rear.

Comment

So I've got the brakes bled now, and it stops great! However, it's way too much rear brakes. The rear locks up way before the front does, and that's with my car having far better front brake pads. So I'm going to order a Wilwood adjustable brake proportioning valve from summit and have to do some adjusting once it's installed.
                          Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 02-08-2010, 01:02 PM.

Comment

make sure you ditch the stock prop valve if you're adding one. I'm sure you know this, but double prop valves is a nono.

You may also want to try disabling the metering function in the stock combo valve before you change stuff out. The metering functions put pressure to the rear brakes before the fronts for a disc/drum setup, and you don't need or want that with disc/disc. Mind you I haven't tried this yet, but its on my list of things to do as soon as I get a chance.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, saves me from a couple of mistakes I was planning on making haha. I'll be sure to remove the metering valve too.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                                a vic drifting, that will be epic lol
                                Have you not seen the supercharged drift CVPI??
                                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                                sigpic
                                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                                X