No announcement yet.

Interior swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight i finished what i could so far. Still need door panels and to put my console back in. First of all, never ever ever switch your interior unless you are really determined, patient, in good health, and not already at risk of heart failure. Unfortunately i am only determined, so i almost died. I expected it to be a pain in the ass and take two full days tops. It started easily enough, took out the seats and some of the stuff in the dash. I had kind of let the car go in the last month since i was planning on switching interiors... had a lot of trash to pull out of there.

Got the carpet, headliner, and molding/trim out. I made sure to take the screws from each piece and tape and lebel them on a board. Then i started the fun part of taking out the dash. With all the stuff in the dash, there are at least 40+ screws, 6 of wich you cant see and are on the inside. Once again the two that hold the dash to the radio support are the hardest and i just broke them off. There is a hell of a lot of shit behind there:

Well putting the dash back on is where you want to have some bayer ready and someone to pull you out of the car and restrain you before you go on a shooting spree through the neighborhood. NOTHING lines up, then you seem to get it lined up but it wont push back against everything. Wires keep falling and getting in the way, then you finally get it placed correctly, and you need to pull it off to move those big cables of wires around so you can screw it down, then once you finally get everything screwed back on it seems off on one side or the other. A lot of cursing and throwing shit during that step, but i finally got it on correctly.

While i had everything out of the car i decided to run wiring for a bunch of stuff. I re ran the wires for my rear power antenna, the CB antenna i have yet to put on, Wired the dash for led's in the vents, ran wiring to the back of the car for anything i might do with LED's, and ran the wire for the power gas door thing which i have to finish installing. Then i started putting the rest of the blue in. Started with the headliner, sail panels, then the carpet, glove box, front seatbelts, B pillar covers, and all the other stuff. It was a little bit of a pain putting stuff back in the correct order, but it helped having the screws labeled.
    By this point i only had like 4 or 5 extra screws which isn't as bad as i though it would be That finished out the third full day of work on the project. This morning i put the steering wheel, column shroud, and a few random pieces in. Still looks a little wierd with the red door panels, but the seats are great and i am very happy with the results.

Also, all i had to do to make the TC seats powered was switch the seat controlls and the group of wires attatched from the old seats and they plugged right into the harness on the TC seats. I didn't have to switch the tracks like i expected. Not sure if all the seats are this way since pete had to switch tracks too, maybe because mine were both from and '84. I do need longer screws for the controlls though due to the huge amount of foam between the side of the seat and the frame on the inside. I could only find one long enough, thats why the controlls look wierd in the pic. Once i get door panels i will post some more pics.
    Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 08:38 AM. Reason: pic url update

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

hell yeah man you did it!
      I used my same seat track for the drivers side, and pulled another driver side track at the yard to use on the passenger side (my pass side was manual)
      Im guessing all the power seat tracks are the same... and yeah its nice the TC seat motors plug right in to the vic/gm switches!!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Looks really good mang! If I had all my dash off though I would have probably replaced the heater core for good measure so you won't have to tear it apart in the future.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Went to the U pull it place today and found a sweet '84 GM, and sure enough it had the LS door panels i was looking for and lighted vizors. They are dirty as hell, but in good condition otherwise. It also had a leather wrapped steering wheel, but had one of those covers tied around it kind of like pete has and it made the leather sort of an off color. I think i will stick with the wheel i have now, it has kind of grown on me. Not sure when i will have time/energy to install the door panels, but it should be soon.

Total for interior swap:
          $161.18
          -$2.27 (loose change found during swap)
          Grand Total:
          $158.91
          Total Donor Cars: 8

More pics soon

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

not bad!

gonna do the same to the SQ in a few months (got a complete interior from an '89 vic) altho i'm not switching colors.

BTW may i suggest getting Vic doorpanels from an '88-91 non-LX panels.. those have the upper half vynl, lower half carpet, woukld look perfect on yours since you got the leather seats
            LTD is still here

Comment

Looks good. You can also paint the steering wheel blue if you want it to match the rest of the stuff.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my door panels are like that too Epi
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

GREAT JOB!!!

We need to do that and we also while were at it we need to clean out some wires that go absolutely nowhere they clutter up the dash and take up power.
                  YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Looks good, but I loathe the door panels that have the vinyl on top.
                    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

i was thinking of replacing my dash pad with a full metal cover out of sheet metal is it possible
                      sigpic
                      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                        my door panels are like that too Epi
                        yeah but you got the short armrests, not the full-size ones
                        LTD is still here

Comment

Finished up the interior today. It took quite a while to do each door panel since i spent a lot of time cleaning up parts and doing repairs on windows/locks. They look great, and cleaned up well too. I am going to try and get a few new parts to replace some things such as the chrome behind the door handles on the inside and a passenger side vizor. I am now officially burned out on doing interior work for a while. Here are some door panel pics, and final pics, still need to redo the console, thats why there all the wires there.

Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 08:48 AM. Reason: pic url update

Comment

Here are some before and after pics for comparison:

Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM. Reason: pic url update

Comment

Hell yeah I bet you are burnt out! lol
                              How do you get the interior B-pillar panels all the way off? do you have to remove the seatbelt assembly with it? I remember trying to grab some for the vic (mine are scratched up) and getting hung up on something. Then i decided they werent nice enough to fight for... I cant remeber seening any that werent scratched at least a little.
                              sigpic

Comment

You have to take the bottom seat belt bolt off, then slide the seatbelt through the hole in the b-pillar cover. Then just the 5 screws on the cover and it's off. My covers arent 100% perfect but pretty close, just a few signs of wear near where the seatbelt hits it.

Comment

Working...
                                X