Tired Of This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired Of This

So I came outside to find a flat tire yesterday.

After doing a Vader "Noooooo!", I regained my composure and made arrangements to bring it to Kal Tire.

The guys at Kal Tire told me my tires were from 1997.

They refused to rotate the two new tires I had put on the front to the back because it was a safety risk.

So I have two new shiny tires on the front tires and, well, potential bombs on the back.

Oh, and my front right shock absorber broke free from its mount and is hangin' around.

That's my story, what's yours?

My story would simply be that I'm sick of buying shitty cars with problems that come up after it's too late.

I got a 96 Cadillac DeVille a few years ago. Dealer was asking $1500 for it due to a bad water pump. I love Cadillacs, so I jumped on it. Sold my wifes Lumina for $1000, put that down and agreed to pay the other $500 in two payments of $250. Well, turned out it wasn't the water pump... It was something internal that broke. A common issue for the Northstar motors. Couldn't drive the damn thing more than a mile without it overheating. I took it back, and eventually got $750 of the grand back, and he kept the rest for "filing fees".

Then we got a 96 Blazer. Got stuck making payments and paying far too much. Within the first year we'd sunk over $1000 into repairs on it, and that's only paying half of the repair cost under warranty. A year later we replaced the brakes, ball joints, and the transfer case. Shortly after that, the tranny dropped. A vehicle that was already over priced at $6k ended up costing us closer to $10k.

We traded in the blazer and my mother-in-laws Regal for a 2002 Buick Century. Nice car, ran and drove great. Made a few payments to get it paid off in less than 6 months and we owned it. Now, there's an electrical issue somewhere and the plate light and reverse lights won't work, the high beam on the drivers side doesn't work, the window regulator on the drivers side went out, the rear windows won't work, it's knocking at idle, and gets exceptionally horrid mileage.

Next I bought my 85 CV for $950. Car looks good, drove great on the test drive, and did great bringing it home. Now there's something going on with the drivetrain. Tranny or rear end, and I can't get any of the cheaper mechanics to look at it.

So basically, every vehicle we've had is a piece of shit. I'm sick of wasting money on vehicles that just break down over and over, but we can't afford payments. Soooo.... We're doomed to drive crap, I guess.

Comment

I'm not even going to re-cap. My fingers would be burned off. Suffice to say that I've never been any good at buying vehicles that were a good buy. Of course I only realize it once its a bit too late. I can and do fix them, its my curse that I can't put up with broken stuff, but it costs a hell of a lot more money than if I'd found something that sucked less to start with. Honestly, if I was broke I'd buy a 3 year old off-lease car and just make the payments. It would at least be a predictable expense rather than the "surprise, its broken!" stuff that old cars can throw at you. The only other work-around is to have spare vehicles and know or become a good enough mechanic that you can keep most of them mostly working most of the time.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

See, I've always thought it was less expensive in the long run to drive the kind of car I have, that only has occasional breakdown issues. Kind of like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
          So I came outside to find a flat tire yesterday.

After doing a Vader "Noooooo!", I regained my composure and made arrangements to bring it to Kal Tire.

The guys at Kal Tire told me my tires were from 1997.

They refused to rotate the two new tires I had put on the front to the back because it was a safety risk.

So I have two new shiny tires on the front tires and, well, potential bombs on the back.

Oh, and my front right shock absorber broke free from its mount and is hangin' around.

That's my story, what's yours?
          Tell Kal Tire to suck it. Your tires ain't going to explode halfway home just because they are from 1997. They'd have a shit fit if they knew how old some of my tires are.
          Rotate the tires yourself. If it was summer I'd keep the new ones on front just so I can burn off the old ones. But being winter, steering is as important as forward go. Personal judgement call how you want them.

1/4" bolt and nut to fix your shock mount. Drop the bolt in from inside, run the nut up outside.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I'm not even going to re-cap. My fingers would be burned off. Suffice to say that I've never been any good at buying vehicles that were a good buy. Of course I only realize it once its a bit too late. I can and do fix them, its my curse that I can't put up with broken stuff, but it costs a hell of a lot more money than if I'd found something that sucked less to start with. Honestly, if I was broke I'd buy a 3 year old off-lease car and just make the payments. It would at least be a predictable expense rather than the "surprise, its broken!" stuff that old cars can throw at you. The only other work-around is to have spare vehicles and know or become a good enough mechanic that you can keep most of them mostly working most of the time.
            I must have the same curse... Or my wife does. I never had issues with vehicles until we started buying them together.

Comment

Before you buy something, go here to learn what you can expect: www.carsurvey.org
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Mike! Don't get discouraged! You could have problems like this with any used car you buy!
                The tire guys are right about them being safer on the rear. Have you had a good look at them yet? If they are bad-bad, it's obvious even to the untrained eye. If you see any chord fiber through any rot cracks, they are unsafe. Especially if you see any tread starting to lift away from the tire...

The shock dangle is not a hard fix, don't buy it if they tell you that.

You'll only have to deal with these sorts of things once, at least not before you put many happy miles on it. Some shops do like to shy away from 'old' boxes, but if you can find a good shop, repairs are definitely cheaper overall than almost any car and parts are still plentiful.

Stick with it!! Especially if you've bonded with the car.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                  Tell Kal Tire to suck it. Your tires ain't going to explode halfway home just because they are from 1997. They'd have a shit fit if they knew how old some of my tires are.
                  Rotate the tires yourself. If it was summer I'd keep the new ones on front just so I can burn off the old ones. But being winter, steering is as important as forward go. Personal judgement call how you want them.

1/4" bolt and nut to fix your shock mount. Drop the bolt in from inside, run the nut up outside.

Alex.
                  Hell, I know someone who was driving around on bias-plys from the 1970's on his 1967 Continental convertible (that car is one heavy SOB too). Granted it wasn't a daily driver, but he had no qualms about jumping in the car going for a 100 mile trip. One of the tires finally got a bulge in it, but still held air so he decided it was time to get a new set.
                  Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                  Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                  Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                  Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by RiggRMortis View Post
                    So basically, every vehicle we've had is a piece of shit. I'm sick of wasting money on vehicles that just break down over and over, but we can't afford payments. Soooo.... We're doomed to drive crap, I guess.
                    Maybe it's because you bought GM's....lol.

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                      Maybe it's because you bought GM's....lol.

-ryan s.
                      I've had good luck with GM's in the past. 00 Grand Am GT was awesome, A 68 Nova that couldn't be killed, a 93 Jimmy that was rock solid... Almost everything I've had in the past was a GM vehicle and had very minor issues with them... Until I started getting vehicles with my wife. To be fair, she's not picking them out or anything. Just keep buying junk. And my CV is no different at this point.

Comment

Avoid CFI. Avoid anything without a track record (under 5 years old). Avoid any hack job like my cars unless you know the folks that did the work (like my cars). Anything with COMPLETE service records that is over 120K miles is usually a really good car and most of the really bad crap has been fixed already.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My car has service records for most of it's life, and ran and drove nice when I test drove it. Which is why I jumped on it without further thought. Now it sits in my driveway because I don't know what's wrong with it and can't afford the $300 just for someone to tell me what's wrong.

My Buick was a solid car when I bought it too. Ran and drove nice. Now it's a ball of problems. I just want a vehicle that works for more than a year.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                            We live on a farm on 12 miles of dirt road.
                            We have now owned six Suburu 4wd wagons. We buy them at 30-40k ( program cars).. We do the routine maintenance (including the factory suggested maintainance which includes a timing belt replacement). We do nothing to the body or interior except tires. Six cars in 20 years we had to replace one tranny because jiffylube drained the wrong plug. Period.

It's uncomfortable on interstate travel and is desperately uncool. But if I needed a daily driver and didn't have much to spend . . .

Donald McCaig

Comment

Somewhere Frank Sinatra is belting out "Thats Life" with an organ screaming in the background.. I've had nothing but problems since I switched to Fords but I refuse to drive anything that isn't red, white & blue. I don't care if we make an inferior product, it's our product and I take pride in that we're among the few countries who make cars worth looking at. I see nothing Iconic about new cars or older foreign stuff. I know some people do but I just don't get it, much like anyone under 30 doesn't get why I'd rather listen to Alice Cooper over Bruno Mars.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X