No announcement yet.

GT40p, Lincoln Logs and #5 plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I swap my idle control off the 1990 TC TB or should I try to use the one that came with the Explorer engine? The electrical connections are different and it would be nice to use the old one.
    Pics:

Comment

I had one big reply with all of this but lost it. DAMMIT!!! I was pissed. It took 20 minutes or more to express my questions so sorry about the different replies.

One more question:
      I had major problems installing the injectors in the intake. I decided to just install them into the fuel rail then bolt the fuel rail down. The injectors don''t just slip in the intake like they did the fuel rail.
      Is this the best way? They don't go all the way into the intake but get a decent seal as far as I can tell.

Please help.
      Suggestions?
      Procedures in which you install injectors?

Thanks,
      Neal

Comment

Belt for A/C but no smog is 560k6, and other belts that interchange with that number.

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that the injectors will go on easier if you put them into the intake first, and then put the rail on top. Lube all the o-rings up with gasoline so that they don't stick and tear when you put them in.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I lubed them with motor oil and almost had to beat them in there. So I stopped and inserted them into the rail. They are still not in the intake yet.

Oh yeah, Thanks for the belt number.

Comment

electrically I believe the later ACT is the same. You can just adapt the plug.

use the 1990 IAC, or the Explorer one should work if you swap the plug

The TPS thing is questionable. Some don't seem to fit right, others do. Mine worked ok, but others have had trouble. You can either use the early TPS, or you can change the plug to use the Explorer piece.

I've always stuck the injectors in the rail first, then put the whole assembly in the intake. Clean the holes in the intake out so they aren't all rough and corroded, and smear some sort of lube on there so the O rings don't tear. Vaseline, wheel bearing grease, motor oil, whatever is handy should do the job just fine.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I cleaned out the fuel rail and the intake manifold seats with q-tips and di-electric grease... a little bit on the o-rings and they just slipped right in.

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              Full vacuum to the red line on the fuel rail (Fuel pressure regulator).
              Full vacuum to the valve cover (breather for the pcv system).
              Definitely do not apply vacuum to the nipple on the filler neck.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks Gadget.
                So basically all of the sensors, ACT, IAC, TPS can all be used as long as I swap the electrical connections. I may try to use the old TPS though just to see.

I think I will try grease or something slicker than motor oil on the injectors.
                That is what I wanted. Just to hear from someone who has done this before. I am a virgin with these type of injectors.

I owe you big time. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                  I cleaned out the fuel rail and the intake manifold seats with q-tips and di-electric grease... a little bit on the o-rings and they just slipped right in.

Definitely do not apply vacuum to the nipple on the filler neck.
                  Thanks. I got the filler neck thing figured out. Just a good clean air supply, filtered.
                  Thanks HPP

Comment

The valve cover nipple is actually letting fumes get sucked back into the engine via the throttle body.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      The valve cover nipple is actually letting fumes get sucked back into the engine via the throttle body.
                      No. That's what the pcv system is. That pipe goes from the throttle body to the valve cover gives it air that has been metered by the engine's fuel control systems, Mass air especially. It does NOT and IS NOT SUPPOSED TO suck the vapors through the throttle body.
                      I mistyped about the vacuum to that. The pipe on the throttle body is for a breather, not vacuum.

Comment

It's to allow filtered air back in to replace the fumes that got sucked out through the pcv.
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

or if you have a slapped out motor, its to allow crankcase pressure to force oil into the throttle body Its original design is an air inlet, but when old age and abuse set in, it serves other purposes.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I found the problem with the injectors. The o-rings were installed too far up on the injectors.
                            I have had help but I will take the blame. I should have known and should have inspected them.
                            Oh well they are in no problem
                            Now valve covers some wires and the upper intake. Some oil, antifreeze and a few other things left.
                            You guys will really like the way I deleted the egr plate behind the TB. That will be a surprise. I will get pics, stay tuned.

Thanks again for all of your help. More pics coming soon. I promise.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              or if you have a slapped out motor, its to allow crankcase pressure to force oil into the throttle body Its original design is an air inlet, but when old age and abuse set in, it serves other purposes.
                              yep! my PCV filter and screen were original with about 150k kilometers on them, dirty as shit. Started sending drops up into the throttle body.
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

What fuel injection system are you using? Mass air or Speed density?

Comment

Working...
                                X