max HP on drivetrain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

max HP on drivetrain?

the merc has low 300's hp just on the motor, then its going to be seeing up to 150hp shot of nitrous... all dyno tuned well. tranny has silverfox vb with hardshifts, edge 2900 stall, rear end has 8clutch trac lock with 3.73's and good timkin bearings.

tranny's getting a hardened input shaft and i'm just wondering how the rest of the tranny, axles and u-joints and driveshaft like up to 450hp in a heavy car. of course ive done all this to my daily driver to get to school and work... hmhm, so i want to stay under the limit if i can and i'm not sure if i should stay away from slicks so traction is the weak link...

thanks, andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

In a sedan, you should be fine. All the axle explosions I've seen are all wagons. If you go slicks, then you might need a few things. I'd start with a girdle.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

you'll exceed the limitations of the motor before you have to worry about it.
      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

i would lower that ass back down, youll have better traction, case in point when i put the limo springs in my linc i could light my bfg radial t/a s up with no problems and that was with just stomping the gas, i put the stock springs back in and it gave me my traction back. just a thought.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Mine has survived 3500+ rpm launches on slicks with a stock drive shaft and rearend if that helps you any.
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
            the merc has low 300's hp just on the motor
            how'd you figure that??
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

He had the engine dyno'd

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

well dayum! I didn't know you could get that out of a GT40 swap. Ive been collecting parts for one, only halfway there yet...
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

P heads, XE258 cam, Mass Air. And the computer played nice with all of this?

Comment

sure why not? the cam is technically designed for speed density and is more or less a HO on steroids the main difference is the lift and that its a dual pattern cam instead of a single pattern the rest of the specs are oh so close to the HO grind its not even funny its like same intake but more exhuast.. or is it the other way around either way its a great cam period. and those are modified p heads too lol

Comment

Modified?

Comment

Did Andre recommend the 2900 stall, or is that something you asked for?

He recommened a 3400-3600 for me.

Make sure your u joints are up to snuff. I'd replace them with Spicer units. I'd say you're okay on the transmission end of things. A girdle would be cheap insurance for the rear.

The rear springs probably aren't helping your rear suspension, either.

Are you going to spray this right out of the hole? If so, you should probably be planning on something other than street tires, if you really want to see the fruits of it.

Also. Did anyone ever tune the car for the cam?
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          Modified?
                          they are slightly ported

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                            well dayum! I didn't know you could get that out of a GT40 swap. Ive been collecting parts for one, only halfway there yet...
                            That is at the flywheel. So he's probably 260-270 at the wheels.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                              I dyno'd 245 at the rear wheels with mine.
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X