3g alternators for 1989 grand marquis help/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3g alternators for 1989 grand marquis help/advice

I've been looking for a 3rd gen alternator to upgrade from the stock. I'm looking to put a 2000 watt amp for a 2 15's and a small 480 watt amp for high and mids. i've looked on ebay for alternators and found this 1 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/161081413353...84.m1423.l2649) it's the only one that's compatible but i also found this 1 for mustangs (http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG...f7f121&vxp=mtr) and my question was will the mustang alternator work on a gm and will it need modifications to work if i can save a couple hundred dollars im all for it! thanks guys!

When I did my 3g upgrade I looked for a 95 Mustang GT alternator, it does require modification to make it work but the modification is very simple.
    The first post in the Alternator wiring diagrams: 1G, 2G, and 3G thread is most useful for figuring out how to wire it up. There is other good info in that thread too, I believe there was some discussion on charge cable wire gauge. The minimum 8 gauge that is stock on the mustang and others probably will not be good enough for a 200+ amp alt like you are looking at. There should also be some discussion on what vehicles you can take the 3g and wiring from in that thread, iirc.

Make sure the charge cable connection is tight and not able to come loose, things tend to melt when that connection is loose.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

You want to find the small case unit to make it a direct swap out as far as bolting it up to the motor. A large case will work if you find an alternator bracket from a box that has the big old style alternator.

I would trust a junkyard alternator as much as an eBay one, and if you have a u-pull-it yard near you they are only $20-$50. A stock 130 amp 3G unit should be plenty for your power needs - just be sure to use nice fat cable for the alt and amps as mentioned and use a capacitor.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You want to find the small case unit to make it a direct swap out as far as bolting it up to the motor. A large case will work if you find an alternator bracket from a box that has the big old style alternator.

I would trust a junkyard alternator as much as an eBay one, and if you have a u-pull-it yard near you they are only $20-$50. A stock 130 amp 3G unit should be plenty for your power needs - just be sure to use nice fat cable for the alt and amps as mentioned and use a capacitor.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

thanks guys i'm probrably gonna do the big three upgrade thanks for the great feedback im gonna go for the mustang alt. just because i'm prolly gonna end up upgrading amps and lights thanks guys i got the confidence to do it now!

Comment

I too have an 89 GM. I did the swap 2 years ago, and have been very happy with the results. I ordered one from the local Carquest (Company discount). The Genco number for mine is #7771, and is for the 94 - 95 Mustangs with the 5.0. Most guys used a nut, and bolt set up on the adjustment bolt. I tapped it out for a Heli-Coil insert and installed a 3/8 x 18 (?) thread. I was able to use the stock belt, but had to put the belt on BEFORE bolting in the alternator. I do have a thread on here outlining the swap, I just have to find it.

MIKE

Comment

TroubleMarq, I found the thread. Just click on this link. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ESS&highlight= I wish I had more in the way of pics for you, but it should give you some idea where you have to go with it, and what my end result was. To this day, I've had no issues with the charging system.

MIKE

Comment

I believe Powermaster sells 3G alternators now. They're pricey and I am not sure if they're the large or small case. But, they are rated for 200A.

Packman

Comment

I picked mine off a 96 Taurus 3.0L SOHC for $10 and went right down the road to have autozone test it. Worked great and charges at 14.5V all day.

Also if you pick it from a yard you can get all the cables and fuse too.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

no u-pulls near me... so I got half ripped for the 3G I got off a t-bird. Works like a champ though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X