Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 Temp Lever Nonfunctional

I am a noob to the problems of the 90+.

I've heard the HVAC controls give problems. In examining the 90, the temp level is stuck toward the cool side, and won't slide past halfway to the warm. This is something that can be fixed or do I need to pray I find a good used one?

Also, the lever that controls position settings is okay but I hear nothing moving (car running).

Finally the fan is not working on any speed/any position setting. It is getting 12v. Blower resistor problems I've had in the past, I still had high.

This is not an ATC car.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

The usual issue with the 90-94 MGM/CV HVAC controls is levers that feel sloppy. Mr Bean fixed them on his '91 P72.

In your case it could be a piece of the spacer broke and is jamming up the works. Just a different symptom of the same problem.

The only unit I have ever taken apart, enough to get at those spacers, I wasn't concerned with putting back together. If you can find a unit at the JY to practice removing the face on I would recommend it.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks for the link. There is a fresh well used 92 in the local u pick that I could "practice" on. So it's the spacer right behind the visible part that could be the issue.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

For the temp lever it could be, and if so removal of the face is the only way to access those spacers. The face is held to the chassis (as best as I can describe it) by plastic pegs. When I removed the one I had I broke a couple of the mounting spots on the chassis. It went back together and looked fine but any time breaking stuff can be avoided you're a step ahead, so tear into that 92 at the yard to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. If the 92 unit is in good shape you can use it as a replacement.

Also, since your wagon sat for an unknown amount of time without that small rear window it could be rust or corrosion (especially if the lever moves a cable, which I don't know if it does or not).

For the position lever, if things aren't switching (you'll know for sure once the blower motor is addressed, maybe a dead motor?) it could be a mechanical issue beyond the control head.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Have you pulled it out yet? Those levers are definitely weird back there... hope its not a broken/obstructed blend door! I replaced mine in the 91 because one lever went floppy, I only remember getting the cables loose being a pain. All three parts to them come off pretty easy though, in case you have to Frankenstein one.
          The vent selector is vacuum controlled, I'd check for leaks.
          If the fan is getting 12v, it's probably dead. Did you try smacking it like a bad starter?
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

kinda why I did this: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ck-manual-HVAC

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
              Have you pulled it out yet? Those levers are definitely weird back there... hope its not a broken/obstructed blend door! I replaced mine in the 91 because one lever went floppy, I only remember getting the cables loose being a pain. All three parts to them come off pretty easy though, in case you have to Frankenstein one.
              The vent selector is vacuum controlled, I'd check for leaks.
              If the fan is getting 12v, it's probably dead. Did you try smacking it like a bad starter?
              Tried beating the fan motor. No Worky. Haven't pulled it yet - still checking on the parking brake. One project at a time on this beast since time to work on it is nonexistant. But will soon. I am wondering if anything in the dash is getting vacuum. Parking brake and HVAC could all be affected, and hearing not a hiss or a squeak from this thing has me wondering.

Originally posted by sly View Post
              I like. But I don't have the hole for it unless I ditch the radio. Or dash swap. Hmmm. Looks really good though.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
              X