No announcement yet.

Hard starting, won't idle, won't rev - 2000 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no compression on adjacent cylinders makes me think head gasket popped between them. Easy check, cobble up an air compressor to dump air into one at TDC with the plug out of the other one. If the air comes out of the open plug hole, you have your answer. If its valve or piston issues it'll come out the intake, exhaust, or oil fill cap respectively.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Coming full circle with this:
      Dan finally summoned the motivation to replace the head gasket(s) on this car today. In the course of disassembly, when he got the valve covers off, he found 2 intake rockers/followers on each head were just laying free in there, effectively killing 4 cylinders.

Front 2 cylinders on driver side and middle 2 cylinders on passenger side.

He apparently pried the followers back into place and the car runs fine. Obviously it may occur again in which case it gets looked at closer. and the exhaust is still chopped up from the cat thief incident so it's not quite road-ready yet.

Does this win the award for the most bizarre problem ever? It feels like it's gotta be a high-ranking contender.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I've seen the rockers toss themselves on mod motors and stay put just fine after putting them back as well. Just never 4 at once. So yeah... it's up there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X