HPP wheel lug nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPP wheel lug nuts

I finally found a set of HPP wheels for my '86 CP. These were one of the last pieces I need for my big brake conversion. Anyone have suggestion for lug nuts to use? Thanks

88 Country Squire
    86 Colony Park, non-op'd
    89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

I have a huge box of Ford OE lugnuts (take-offs from a dealer that installs keyed lugnuts on all their cars). I find they both functionally and visually fit the HPPs pretty much perfectly.

They are the 2-part lugnuts that Ford has been sued for using because corrosion and separation of the outer skin from the inner nut can make them hard to remove, so that's a consideration to keep in mind. FWIW I believe the "swollen lugnuts" issue is probably avoidable if your lugnuts never get taken off or put on with an impact wrench, but that's my take.
    Last edited by kishy; 11-01-2017, 10:27 AM.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

If you like wheel locks...https://shop.mcgard.com/chrome-cone-...action=related

If you just want lugs...https://shop.mcgard.com/chrome-cone-...action=related

McGard is usa made. I think this style (not bulge) really looks nice on the hpp wheels. If you buy numerous full size fords just buy a box of 100 for $65. If you were in NY I would sell you some but it is not worth shipping. I look on Ebay for what I want. Lifetime warranty against rust, chipping or peeling. They also have black and colored ends. The thread size is 1/2 X 20.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McGard-6940...hVOBlw&vxp=mtr
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I just replaced the factory original 2-piece lug nuts on my '98 HPP with a set of 20 Dorman 611.071 1-piece lug nuts. They are identical. I could not find a lug nut set that had the correct shape to fill the shallow bore around the lig nut seat on the HPPs. These are factory replacement lugs for a late-model Mustang. Buying them that way did cost more but I got a factory match to the originals which was important to me. Most lug nut sets either had a 3/4" hex which would be too large, were too short for the HPPs, or lacked the flare near the seat and would look funny on the wheels.
        -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
        1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

just beware the hex size. the common 1/2-20 lug nuts use a 3/4" head, Ford lug wrenches are 13/16". Not a big deal if you're not keeping the lug wrench but its something you want to plan for ahead of time. My Mark VII has had my breaker bar with a 3/4 socket in the trunk for years now. I really need to replace the lug nuts so I can get my tools back and just use the standard lug wrench to swap the spare if needed.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130621_0908081.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1282619
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
            X