85 Marquis, Intermediate Wipers Will Not Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 Marquis, Intermediate Wipers Will Not Stop

I've had a new wiper stalk installed and the motors seem lively, but for some reason the wipers will not stop unless if I put the switch just above the park position. It'll also make a buzzing sound when knocked into the park position.

Is this the module or the motors?

My '83 was doing this, the buzzing seemed to emanate from the intermittent wiper control box (not sure what its actual name is). It's a small black box under the steering column to the left, if you remove the panel under the column. Its wires are permanently attached like a small harness chunk, and goes inline along the wiring from the wiper switch. I replaced mine with a junkyard one out of an '89 and it started working normally after that.

I do not believe this part can be purchased new. Yard shouldn't want much for it so it's worth a shot.

Also I have a reasonable but not complete degree of confidence that this was a Ford "everything" wiper control module, so chances are if you find a Ford that has the same style of wiper switch, you'll find the same module in the dash...if you can't find an 80s Panther, consider other Fords of the same time period that were of North American origin.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-18-2014, 05:30 PM.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

There is also a parking cam inside the motor that can go bad and cause them to not stop. Not sure that would stop by pushing the switch up though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        There is also a parking cam inside the motor that can go bad and cause them to not stop. Not sure that would stop by pushing the switch up though.
        Since the switch is between both selections it may just stop sending electrical current, thus the motors stop mid-way and do not return the wipers.

Comment

Working...
        X