Wagon Tailgate Door Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Tailgate Door Seal

On account of recently coming into possession of a pretty good tailgate door seal, I am considering sending it to a manufacturer (Steele Rubber Products) to have them scan it and determine the feasibility of reproducing it. They have responded to me saying they are happy to take the seal to do this analysis.

Before I do this, I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself (or the rest of us) in any of our feet and hurting our chances of further consideration. e.g. if I send them this seal and they look at it and say "wow, that's really complex, what's the demand like for this part" and then determine our cars are worth 5 dollars and there are only 3 possibly interested buyers, they very well might blacklist the car from being considered entirely.

What I suppose I need from the community is:
    • A rough idea of how many cars are currently in need of this seal, with buyers who would be willing to pay for a reproduction part. I'm guessing this thing won't be much under $200 if they do decide to make it.
    • Has anyone previously sent in their seal to Steele Rubber for evaluation, and if so, what reasons were given to you at that time for why they didn't decide to move forward with it?
    • Some examples of why the vehicle is a worthy case to make reproduction parts for. For example, recent BringATrailer listings for these cars selling for high dollars, and hopefully with the tailgate seal visibly destroyed in the photos.
    • Does anyone happen to have a better condition seal than mine (see photos at link above) which is a better candidate to submit to them?

I'm not planning to bury the Steele Rubber guys in evidence before the seal is even in their hands, I just think it would be wise to have this sort of supporting information on-hand to use in conversation if it sounds like it isn't looking likely to be reproduced.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

This kinda high dollar (and otherwise great condition) BAT listing came to mind:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...wn-victoria-4/
    Even on this one the top part of the seal looks to be mushed and it's splitting apart at a couple spots...
    These vintage wagons seem to be rising in price every year.
    Looking at a few other wagons all low miles show atleast some deformation and weathercracking on the tailgate seal.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-squire-wagon/
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-squire-wagon/
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I'll absolutely pony up for one. I'd have a feeling with these cars starting to gain acceptance as classics, certain owners who want to make their cars as nice as possible would likely be willing to purchase a new seal.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I insured my 89 CP with Hagerty Insurance for $10K a year ago. They accepted my agreed value without even asking for pictures. I recently got a letter from them suggesting I raise the value to $15K. Wagons are becoming more of a collectors item for sure. WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I'll take one in the $200 range. Let me know if they need actual contact info.

This came up on one of the Facebook groups very recently. The user had a NOS one and was encouraged to share it with a reproduction company, but I suspect they have not. Daniel Carpenter makes LOTS of Mustang rubber bits and they are good. They might be a resource if Steele doesn't bite.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thank you for the links and remarks.

To be clear, the $200 price point was a number I pulled out of thin air. I guesstimated it entirely and nobody in the industry told me to expect it, or that it was realistic. It could be 140 or 202 or 362 dollars. No clue. But from my perspective, if a company is willing to produce our weird special part, I think that's worthy of being rewarded with making a purchase. Tooling isn't free.

Full disclosure: if they decide to produce the part, the person who sent them the seal used to develop the molds and do test-fitting will receive the finished product for free. This is obviously a huge benefit to the person who sends in the seal. I am motivated by the "greater good" here of getting a product on the market, but obviously I think that's a nice perk as well. But if someone has a nicer one, the nicest possible seal should be the one we send in. Mine is pretty good but not perfect.

From that same derby car partout, I also got the weird little rubber triangle things that go on the ends of the tailgate window, and these ones are perfect. I will send those along with the tailgate seal. Anything else that anyone can think of?

I'm going to work on making a rigid box to ship this thing in, and it'll probably go out in the next couple weeks provided nobody speaks up about having a better one to send to them. Reference photos linked from the first post.
            Last edited by kishy; 03-07-2023, 11:51 AM.

Current driver: wagon
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Same way I got the belt molding clips for the 88-91 MGM. I found a company that needed to do R&D on a new 3D scanner and needed a small complex part to test with. It was a major boon for them and I got a free run of test parts that proved to print well in almost any orientation in their machines. Elias also got some of those to mount moldings on his car and to my knowledge, they are still holding. That was before the panned demmick, so that's at least three years now. Getting the STL file took walking in since the guy that did it went to another company and left me hanging. But I digress. We know the clips work in nylon and should work with any filament, we just don't know how long. But we can all print those now, so there's that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                Full disclosure: if they decide to produce the part, the person who sent them the seal used to develop the molds and do test-fitting will receive the finished product for free. This is obviously a huge benefit to the person who sends in the seal. I am motivated by the "greater good" here of getting a product on the market, but obviously I think that's a nice perk as well. But if someone has a nicer one, the nicest possible seal should be the one we send in. Mine is pretty good but not perfect.
                I think your good seal is about on par with the one I got, so that's essentially same = same. I'd say send yours in and see what happens!

If they decide to actually remake that seal, that'll be huge for us.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                X