1986 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 Grand Marquis

You'll recognize this car. First off I'd like to thank Kishy for getting the car ready for pickup and sending me pictures and videos of the car.

So, I bought the car on January 15 2023. Once the purchase was complete my dad and brother helped me put my extra set of turbines on the car, replaced the positive battery cable, added a battery hold down, and put on new wipers.

Now, the drive home. There wasnt any issues and the car made the 179 km journey home. I believe Kishy had only put around 10km on the car, and before that it was sitting.

Once home, we replaced the drivers side reverse light, passenger high beam, and the right turn signal bulb in the instrument cluster. The vents in the dash were then cleaned out. (mouse nest)

The next thing was the door locks, both drivers locked and unlocked fine, but the passener front would barely move and the passenger rear wouldn't move at all. Both door panels were then removed and the rods and latch assembly were lubed, working the switch from unlock to lock a few times seemed to do the trick once the lube was there and now all four doors lock and unlock.

Next, All four door strikers had no bushings. I used cut up pex pipe as new bushings and adjusted the drivers front door striker, all four close perfectly.

Added my emblems to the trunk lid since they were missing. (Some of these emblems i've had since I was 9 years old when my dad got rid of his 1986 Grand Marquis)

Last thing was putting the rest of the interior back in. Glove box, fuse box cover, and various trim was put back into place. Plan is to fix the floor correctly when spring arrives.

Now, before I do anything else I wanted to get the car in my name. That was done today. January 17,2023.

The plans for this car is undercoating it, upgrading to 3g alt, finding a grey package tray, trunk carpet, Jack and tire iron, spare tire and rim, and a 5.0 liter top cover.
    Attached Files

Awesome! Looks great! Congrats!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
      Awesome! Looks great! Congrats!

Thanks!

Comment

Part of the fun is finding all the little things you want to repair/replace until you are satisfied.
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
          Part of the fun is finding all the little things you want to repair/replace until you are satisfied.

My two door is a good example.

Comment

Awesome. The car will live on. Nice tackling little jobs...making the car feel like your own in the process.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

There is nothing like a box!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Awesome. The car will live on. Nice tackling little jobs...making the car feel like your own in the process.
                yes, i'm glad the car will live on once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                  There is nothing like a box!
                  Very true

Comment

If this will see any moisture or salt mix at all, I strongly advise you oil the underside instead of undercoating it. Coatings trap moisture and accelerate corrosion as a result. Fluid Film or Krown T40 is what you want to use and do it once a year.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      If this will see any moisture or salt mix at all, I strongly advise you oil the underside instead of undercoating it. Coatings trap moisture and accelerate corrosion as a result. Fluid Film or Krown T40 is what you want to use and do it once a year.
                      I normally use this https://corrosionfree.com
                      or Rust check coat and protect. I have used fluid film on my two door, however that car doesnt see salt/snow.

Comment

Rust check is amidst the worst stuff you can use, only slightly better than bare metal. Fluid Film and other cosmoline based products seem to work best. According to Repair Geek's testing, Krown is too. Takes several applications I guess, none of my salt goers are any worse than they started:

Says da video is unavailable, so here's the link, maybe that'll work:
                        Real World Undercoating Test Pt 2: Homemade Solutions, Woolwax, Rust Check, and More... - YouTube
                        Last edited by sly; 01-22-2023, 06:46 PM.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

No pictures this time, but I did an oil change, put on both chassis braces I had laying around, Greased all u-joints, and flushed the heater core. It will be getting replaced as soon as the weather is better as I mostly work on the cars outside.

I had the car on the hoist at work and had time to really look around under the car. I'm impressed at how solid it is. It really reminds me of my 85 Vic and its underbody.

Comment

Glad to help get this into the hands of someone who'll give it some love. What you saw on the hoist is why I saved it when I didn't have the space to store it or time to fix it lol...the Tuff Kote undercoating stuff keeps the bottom of a car really nice, and you can probably touch it up with anything wet and oily in places where you scrape it off. I feel like this was winter driven but not much.

I have the 5.0 EFI cover somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where it is. I have no problem dropping that in the mail to you if I find it before you get another one.

Current driver: wagon
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                              Glad to help get this into the hands of someone who'll give it some love. What you saw on the hoist is why I saved it when I didn't have the space to store it or time to fix it lol...the Tuff Kote undercoating stuff keeps the bottom of a car really nice, and you can probably touch it up with anything wet and oily in places where you scrape it off. I feel like this was winter driven but not much.

I have the 5.0 EFI cover somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where it is. I have no problem dropping that in the mail to you if I find it before you get another one.

Its definitely going to get more oily stuff underneath. As far as the 5.0 cover I should be able to find one.
                              Last edited by 1985crownvicltd85; 01-22-2023, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X