PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: kishy's 1985 Country Squire

GMN Regular

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    No time frame in mind. But since I've got it now, this helps motivate me to get rid of the 97. Space in my driveway is significantly reduced.
    If the wagon's engine is too far gone, you could swap in the drive-train from the '97.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    You may regret selling it. Think it over.

Air conditioning tax... So I'm sure the Canadian government will be handing that money over to the atmosphere, right? Bah, can't stand government crap, regulations, fees and everything else that fucks the small guy out of his 12 grams of fun per year.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

all the CFI are belong to me

4.6/4R70W is a possibility, I was planning to keep the drivetrain when I scrap the shell...

I was able to get an AutoCheck report on it:

So, it seems fair to say it rolled over one time and is at 148k miles (238k km), making it my highest mileage vehicle. Mileage doesn't generally scare me but it's good to have it in mind.

The exact timeline of the SC-to-OH move is not exactly as I'd been thinking but the details also weren't really available, since the people I bought it from bought it after it was already in OH, all they could tell me was that it came from SC before they bought it in 2005 (not a lie). It looks like it's been in OH since 2000.
    Last edited by kishy; 06-20-2017 at 02:38 PM.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

Came from Leesville, SC, neat! My grand parents live in the Batesburg-Leesville area, so that's not too far a trip.

That car would have originally would have been about a little over an hour away from where I live.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I wish in Michigan they took down ODO readings. There's even a spot for it on the title but apparently if the vehicle is beyond a certain age they don't record it, even if you tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I wish in Michigan they took down ODO readings. There's even a spot for it on the title but apparently if the vehicle is beyond a certain age they don't record it, even if you tell them.
    Same in Texas. 10 years and it's "EXEMPT" in that spot.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Hmm. I think I'll start listing mileage as "EXEMPT" when selling stuff now

Buddy took a look at the Autocheck and pointed something out:

82,560 in 1997
    (1)39,620 in 2000

While it's believable that the car had 82k miles put on from 1985 to 1997, it's a lot less believable that it had 57k miles put on in only 3 years.

Seems possible it was actually 32k in 97, and the 3 was misread as an 8. If that's true, it's still only 45k.

Unrelated: I only received the ignition key with it, so I'm going to have to re-key all 3 doors and the glovebox (which itself is either locked or broken and I can't get into it). I have spare lock sets with keys, but none with a tailgate lock cylinder.
    Last edited by kishy; 06-21-2017 at 11:25 AM.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Mileage on that thing is moot based on current condition lol. Can't you just take a lock cylinder from the door and have a key made from that?

Mileage on that thing is moot based on current condition lol.
    Not necessarily. AOD is why mileage matters to me. Not that it matters much, but at least a bit.

AOD at 45k, spring chicken. AOD at 145k (especially when it was used for towing), maybe not as much.

Can't you just take a lock cylinder from the door and have a key made from that?
    I've never done it, but I presume it's possible. I figured it went the other way, you can get a lock rekeyed to match a key but not a key made to match an existing lock...

Edit: just called a locksmith. $75. Yeah, no. I'll see if I can cobble something together.
    Last edited by kishy; 06-21-2017 at 12:24 PM.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

I have found 2 complete sets of locks (on the same day even, but only took one set) for my '91 MGM with keys at the JYs. Although for a wagon a complete set with keys will be harder to find at the JY since wagons aren't too common and even if you find a wagon finding the keys with the vehicle is not common either.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Southern

I wonder if the key Zach has for his tailgate on his wagon he would
    Be interested in selling? He has a spare tailgate. I can go get the lock cylinders from the same car. Won't be cheap though - probably $30 for both door lock cylinders, interior etc

This car is so far away from hitting the road that details of that nature are very low priority. I'm first going to see if the tailgate lock cylinder can swap with any others I have hanging around. If it's a normal door lock cylinder, this is easy. It might end up being a 4-key-car, but I could deal with that.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

So plenty of time to wait and see if a wagon with keys pops up at the JY.
    The Ice Car is a 3 key car. The door locks are from something else (not sure what) put on by one of the previous owners and don't match the ignition cylinder like they should on a '91. The set of locks and keys that I got from the JY was for The Ice Car, but never got around to swapping them and once I got The Scab which had a worn ignition lock cylinder I installed the whole set on that car instead.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Not necessarily. AOD is why mileage matters to me. Not that it matters much, but at least a bit.

AOD at 45k, spring chicken. AOD at 145k (especially when it was used for towing), maybe not as much.
    Hmm, I'd say either way it's no good after sitting but my Fury sat for 20 years and it's 727TF is alive and well.

I've never done it, but I presume it's possible. I figured it went the other way, you can get a lock rekeyed to match a key but not a key made to match an existing lock...

Edit: just called a locksmith. $75. Yeah, no. I'll see if I can cobble something together.
    See, I told ya it was possible but never said it would be cheap

Oh, that. It's RIV exempt due to age. Transport Canada confirmed on the phone this morning I'm good to take the 13-0132 "Vehicle Import Form - Form 1" to Service Ontario and that'll do to get me an Ontario ownership.

In Section 16, (d) is checked for "Vehicle is fifteen years old or older" and the RIV section is crossed out and has a CBSA stamp on it.
    Excellent. I never seen reference that that inspection is not necessary for the over 15 crowd.Good to know. Very good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
    Crappy Tire is the last place I would go to for an inspection. I hope that's not his only choice for a repair shop.
    You and me both, but it is the only place that the RIV has okay'd to perform import vehicle inspections. You can get the vehicle into compliance anywhere you want, but the inspection is pretty well limited to the ct.

Alex.

Oof. Had some fun phone calls with US Customs. But, finally got two officers, one of whom is a supervisor, to confirm this thing doesn't need to go back to them for any reason. Smooth sailing in Canada time.

Ontario ownership is now in my hands, as are a set of plates with a temp sticker, even though it's not driving anywhere any time soon. Reason for getting the temp sticker is that if you do not get one at time of ownership transfer, the ownership is issued as "unfit", which means the next time the car will operate on the road, it must be towed to a shop for a safety inspection. If it fails, tow it back home etc. Doing it this way with the temp, I can do my work at my own pace, drive it to the shop eventually for its safety (on a then-current temp sticker), no tow trucks required.

That is all, of course, working on the assumption I'm not scrapping it. Lots of work here to do. But the bureaucratic nonsense is done, at least.

...But the bureaucratic nonsense is done, at least.
    "Government sure do take a bite, don't they?"

Today, I cleaned out the massive quantity of garbage and random crap in the car. I found the final active wasp nest, inside the fuel filler door, which I opened for the first time since picking up the car (I found the manual release).

The tailgate does work as expected, I just wasn't doing it right.

Got the glovebox open from the bottom side. Turns out it wasn't locked, but that typical failure of the little metal arm thing in the latch happened. I accidentally sent the spring flying across the driveway so a junkyard latch will be something to keep an eye out for.

Rinsed and scrubbed the exterior a bit with a brush, it looks a lot less like I dragged it out of a swamp. Now, it passes for period-typical beater rather than "OMG what is THAT?!?!"

Yanked the seats. Their bolts, and the seatbelt bolts turned with simple hand tools with minimal coercion, and I didn't break a T50 like I usually do, so that's cool. Pulled the carpet, found an ant infestation. Took care of that. They're still in the car, just dead now. Driver seat is wet, not sure how or why since there's no active source of water into the car anymore. Going to need to study that problem a bit more.

Tailgate window seal has definitely seen better days but water entry even when hosing it down with direct pressure was pretty much nothing. Expected worse.

There is only one inspection-failing rust hole in the passenger area floor pan, and it's around the rubber plug in the floor by the front passenger's right foot. No big deal. I stabbed the floor in many sample spots with a screwdriver and no others went through. The trunk pan, on the other hand, is a really big deal. Lots of air where there should be metal. I knew that part, though.

At this point I'm actively working on the decision of whether to scrap or revive it. The to-do list in the latter case is looking like:
    (below in Canadian dollars)
    • body rust (any hole allowing exhaust entry to the car), thinking <$100 in materials depending on method/approach taken, some items already on hand
    • hard and soft brake lines <$100, some stuff already on hand
    • brakes all around, if reusing rotors and drums <$100
    • parking brake cables <$50
    • windshield <$50 junkyard DIY or in the $300s new installed
    • bumper (optional) $60
    • hood (optional) $70
    • exhaust, only patching as required to eliminate leaks to satisfy inspection <$50
    • if engine internally bad, junkyard complete engine (any, could do explorer or just pop a lopo back in) $270
    • misc engine pieces like timing set, filters, gaskets <$150
    • it needs tires, but at any given time I have a spare set I'm not driving on, so that's sorta taken care of
    • fuel tank (it might be ok, but let's say it's not) $170
    • fuel pump ("might as well") $80
    • window motors, interior switches and stuff like that I have in quantity already

So, it creeps up over $1000 depending on worst case vs better case scenarios. $1500-2000 all-in is not unreasonable for it to be road-ready. Do I want to spend it, though? Decisions decisions. Not happening this summer, I don't think.

Given you could buy a rusty car in such condition, I think fixing it wouldn't be terrible since you'd only be in it that much. Since it doesn't sound like there's serious frame compromising rust, I'd shoot to repair it slowly overtime.

Worst case, just use it like every other out of service wagon and use it as a storage locker on wheels.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast