Ripped boot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripped boot!

So I replaced the upper ball joints on the Lincoln maybe 2-3 weeks ago. Today while working on the front brakes I noticed this. It looks like the plastic shield acted as a saw to the ball joint boot as the upper arm traveled up and down. Grrrr
    Anywho, do I have to replace the ball joint again? Or does someone sell just the boot? These were Moog joints btw.

Thanks!

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190301_142757.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1285130Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190301_142802.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1285131

Comment

You can find replacement boots but it may be hard to find one to fit Moog brand.
      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Need a boot in there or it will fill with dust and grind itself to an early failure. Don't need to replace the joint if you can get one. Maybe a universal boot will get it done.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is this what you need?
          https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302208635577
          Last edited by 94Magna_Tom; 03-02-2019, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Magna_Tom View Post
            Thanks!

Comment

I went ahead and ordered another ball joint, Rock had the same moogs on clearance for $10. That way I know I'm safe. I appreciate the input from everyone. I suppose I will just cut a couple inches off of that plastic shield piece to prevent this from happening again. Anyone else ever experienced this?

Comment

looks like its out of position, might want to check the mounting clips to see if some are missing before trimming it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by ZombieTown94 View Post
                  Anyone else ever experienced this?
                  Same thing happened to one of the Moog upper ball joints I put on my '89. Noticed it last oil change and haven't had a chance to do anything about it yet. (it's been on there for a few years now I think...)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Anyone else ever experienced this?
                    When I had a caliper lock up on the '89 (back around 2000) and I melted the boot away driving it home. I just hit it with a grease gun every oil change, that ball joint stayed on the car until 2015 when the car got hit and written off.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                      When I had a caliper lock up on the '89 (back around 2000) and I melted the boot away driving it home. I just hit it with a grease gun every oil change, that ball joint stayed on the car until 2015 when the car got hit and written off.

Alex.
                      Wow! now that's a long time. Makes me feel a little better about still driving on it

Comment

I suppose I will just cut a couple inches off of that plastic shield piece to prevent this from happening again. Anyone else ever experienced this?
                        Uhh...which plastic shield?
                        The one they provide to protect the boot and keep the stud upright during shipping, which you are not supposed to install in the vehicle?

If the piece you are referring to is what I think it is, installing it is probably the reason why you had this failure.

Current driver: Ranger
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

In his picture it looks like the boot is rubbing against a splash shield from the fender liner.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oops...somehow I missed the second post with the photo. Yeah, appears the boot was cut by that.

Based on text description alone I was trying to figure out exactly what plastic shield there was, and the only thing I could think of was that plastic cup that some ball joints come packaged with to hold the stud upright.

Current driver: Ranger
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                              Oops...somehow I missed the second post with the photo. Yeah, appears the boot was cut by that.

Based on text description alone I was trying to figure out exactly what plastic shield there was, and the only thing I could think of was that plastic cup that some ball joints come packaged with to hold the stud upright.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190307_212454.jpg
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1285152

Comment

Working...
                              X