PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shocks for early box

It was a close one folks.
    I did an older Merc convertible with Vi-King coil-overs and full poly and sways two years ago and I love it.
    American made, Quality stuff, no joke. http://vi-king.com/
    So I got on the horn with Vi-King.
    They have coil overs perfectly suited for our boxes and smooth body shocks for the back... but no coils. Double adjustable shocks. I have some and they are really nice pieces.
    They have recommended brands and suppliers for rear coils, along with recommended spring rates.
    Prices are obviously above the plain coils/shocks I'm doing. For their Coil overs and shocks it was near $1K. Add coils for the back and busjiings...and I'd be at $1500.
    Nah. Not on this car.
    I'll have $375 in coils and KYB shocks. A bit more in bushings and associated malarkey by the time I'm done. Let's say $500.
    I'm not upgrading my brakes yet as I have no problem with my brakes as they are. When I got the car I took them completely apart and cleaned them up...and lubed everything. Not grabby..no issues.
    If I wanted one of these cars to POUND... I'd do it in a minute. I'm sold on Vi-King stuff...
    All FORD All The Time

all the CFI are belong to me

My 2 cents...I had the Speedway 925s in my 91 with the cheaper KYBs (Excel-G...GR2 doesn't exist anymore). It definitely needed more shock for those springs, however, the springs destroyed the ride quality. They completely broke the way I felt about that car. It went from a car I loved driving and being in to a car I completely hated in all respects. Getting rid of them was the best thing I've done to any of my cars in terms of direct benefit to the driving experience.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    My 2 cents...I had the Speedway 925s in my 91 with the cheaper KYBs (Excel-G...GR2 doesn't exist anymore). It definitely needed more shock for those springs, however, the springs destroyed the ride quality. They completely broke the way I felt about that car. It went from a car I loved driving and being in to a car I completely hated in all respects. Getting rid of them was the best thing I've done to any of my cars in terms of direct benefit to the driving experience.
    This is what has me worried. My suspension needs a complete overhaul, including the brakes, which blow. I'd like to lower the car just a tad, but not totally kill the boatiness. My car has a rather pronounced list to starboard, as did my other '90, and i'm not sure whether to chalk it up to springs or body mounts. Anyhow, i would like better handling/braking, but don't want my car to ride like a slammed honda. Already have KYB gas-a-justs all way 'round, cop ones in front, PI rear and addco front bars. Don't want to do anything until my ADTR rear arms are delivered, but this turd needs EVERYTHING. Has anyone just used like a stock-replacement coil spring with good results?

all the CFI are belong to me

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    This is what has me worried. My suspension needs a complete overhaul, including the brakes, which blow. I'd like to lower the car just a tad, but not totally kill the boatiness. My car has a rather pronounced list to starboard, as did my other '90, and i'm not sure whether to chalk it up to springs or body mounts. Anyhow, i would like better handling/braking, but don't want my car to ride like a slammed honda. Already have KYB gas-a-justs all way 'round, cop ones in front, PI rear and addco front bars. Don't want to do anything until my ADTR rear arms are delivered, but this turd needs EVERYTHING. Has anyone just used like a stock-replacement coil spring with good results?
    I used the "HD" front springs to replace the 925s (off the top of my head it might be Moog 8652?) and found it a fair bit firmer than the soft factory springs but also a great deal softer than the Speedway springs. That is, the suspension would actually compress instead of feeling like having a cinderblock for a spring.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Its interesting how different shock, wheel, and other variables effect the ride quality. The two cars Iíve ridden In with speedway springs did not feel harsh at all. They simply felt like a modern car. Very stable and fast recovery when hitting bumps- but still able to absorb the little bumps as well. I believe both those cars had newer police gas-a-just shocks though

If you cut half a coil or a little more off the HD springs you may get a firmer, lower ride without loosing the boatiness. However then you still have weak, unmatched rear springs- custom springs are always an option

In this... All the info you guys have written along with everything I read on the sticky posts...
    Led me to this point.
    I just said screw it and picked something.
    Once I get it together, I'll try objectively to write something with part numbers and all that malarkey.
    I guess I just had a revelation ya know.??
    Like never could be a racecar...so... try to make it one at the cost of the cars spirit and personality.?
    Nope.
    Sherrie is a lover. Hence the big back seat, wide rear bumper and pretty face...
    All FORD All The Time

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Under-damped heavy springs might be part of the issue. Thats not going to feel as nice as shocks that match the spring rate.

also just as a disclaimer, I drove that car only a few times. Its not something I lived with for many miles so its entirely possibly my opinions would have changed given more wheel time. My car has stock springs, and its keeping them. I went through 3 different sets to get the proper ride height, which happened to be standard replacement parts.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Ok Ya'll,
    Sherrie got the Speedway spring treatment with KYB Gas-A-just shocks like I said.
    Same springs posted here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post132200
    I only got 15 miles on her last night in the rain.
    HOWEVER...
    My first impression is good.
    Sherrie now has an angry streak. She sits a little higher in the rear than it did but BARELY. The front is the same.
    My original coils were so incredibly shot the car wallowed mid-stroke like a happy Lab in a mud puddle, and that in itself led to an interesting driving experience.
    The ride so far was DEFINITELY more firm...more cop-car like, but not...harsh.
    I'll get some pictures this weekend and get them on here...
    All FORD All The Time

Awesome to hear! Canít wait to see the pictures

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

I used Bilstein Rear Shocks 24-014960 and...……..
    used Bilstein front shocks 24-014953

I did the spring swap a few years prior to rebuilding the front end; and had Monroe Sensitracs. When I went poly bushings and Bilstein shocks, the ride was a bit more firm; but it handled really well.

Sorry I missed this thread.

Here's two pictures from tonight. It sits fine.
    She definitely handles like She has a point to prove..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191108_164202-1.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	849.2 KB 
ID:	53001
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191108_172146.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	53002

Holy shit...the pix are straight.!! From my laptop...
    All FORD All The Time

fomoco panthers !

Sharp CV ! I like how it sits. The vent visors and wind wings (vent windows) look good too

Looks good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Thanks. I really like this car..
    All FORD All The Time

Perfect wheel/tire combo and stance!

Not to thread jack but... Pack man- have you ridden in a car with gas adjusts and speedway springs? Are the Bilsteins worth the price?

Turned out nice.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I little more feedback on the Speedway #925/#175 combo and KYB Gas-A Justs...
    The springs weren't as easy to put in the front as anticipated. BUT...it wasn't hard.
    Rear was probably the easiest swap ever.
    The shocks went on simply.
    I put new sway bar end links on with poly bushings because I had them laying around.
    I put about a hundred miles on today on a lot of country roads and my general consensus is..
    For this coupe, these spring rates and dampening level are pretty close to perfect.
    Steering accuracy and holding a line was really REALLY improved, as well as long travel movement from roller-style bumps and road contour.
    The car is much more 'planted' than it was with the stock springs and Monroes that were on there.
    It turns flat on fast smooth corners. I'm actually VERY surprised. This is my first panther, and I'm smiling..
    My passenger even remarked how much better the car felt than before.
    So..... There it is. My $.02 on this combo.
    I'm very glad I did it.
    All FORD All The Time

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

The main reason for my Speedway spring swap was for the same reasons you did; holding a straight line on the highway. I miss the riding on a cloud-couch ride; but having that car drift all over the highway without moving the steering wheel was the tipping point for me. Plus, I like when people tried to tailgate me on curvy roads and highway entrances; and watching them disappear in the rear view mirror during those attempts LOL

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

If you can't go straight on the highway with stock suspension, you have problems. Yes its mushy, but these things absolutely hold a straight line if the parts aren't shot.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Yes its mushy, but these things absolutely hold a straight line if the parts aren't shot.
    THAT was my cars problem...
    Last edited by sly; 11-14-2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: fixed formatting
    All FORD All The Time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast