PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Oh yeah, I washed the MGM, finally.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

One spot that is absolutely hands-down a winner with an automatic is launching a boat. Mostly because there is zero concern of rolling back or stalling, just gas and go. I've done it with a manual, but its a hell of a lot more nerve-wracking, especially on something where the parking brake doesn't work and you have to do the 3 pedals with 2 feet thing.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yeah, I suck at that. VCV can attest as well. If not for him, I don't know how we'd have gotten that van and my truck out of that Austin Powers situation. But for everyday driving even with hills, I love grabbing my own gears.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    No difference really, general handling of the car is evaluated constantly during the test, so obviously an auto is a bit easier to drive. Stalling is allowed, but try not to stall in a dangerous spot, duh. A hill start is also a breeze in an auto, but nowadays even the manual driving school cars have fancy gadgets like hill start assist and other crap.
    Right, autos have that advantage for sure. I do appreciate them in a luxury vehicle. It's just the whole thing if I can get the vehicle with a manual, that's the version I want to find. Perhaps when my knees give out I'll give up on them.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

My cruise doesn't work
    It worked last friday, and since I've touched the automatic handbrake release. Does it have anything to do with the brake switch? I just removed the vacuum source from the distribution block on the firewall.

all the CFI are belong to me

Cruise is canceled by two mechanisms:

1, electronic, the brake light circuit

2, mechanical (failsafe), a vacuum valve somewhere buried up high above the brake pedal so the brake pedal can mechanically release the vacuum from the cruise servo.

The cruise module on years prior to it being integrated with the ECM (and yours is prior to that) is, off the top of my head, attached to the right of the ECM. Since it's very close to the area you were working in, I'll suggest inspecting the wiring. The connectors get brittle with age and maybe a wire got pulled out. This happened on my '85. It's typically a wide flat black plastic box and takes two single-row connectors.

Current driver: 84 TC
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 85 CS | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

Lots of vacuum is used for HVAC, Cruise, EGR, and smog. As for removing the feed from the distribution block, are you sure you didn't pull more than you thought? If you disconnected the entire tree, you won't have HVAC control either.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Just the one plastic line from the dist block to the brake release valve. I put it back and made no difference. The amount of vacuum crap has reduced to a tolerable level now that all the smog, egr and other crap has been removed. Only cruise, handbrake release, soup can and hvac left.
    Ill have to dig in tomorrow, check the vacuum release and connectors. I can see I have brake lights and theyre not on constantly.

The cruise has worked so valiantly for so long and now it just disappears without a word.

The vacuum release switch is separate from the brake light switch, so you may just have to adjust the vacuum switch if it happened to just back off unfortunately at the same time as you doing all this work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

I checked the vacuum dump valve, it didn't leak. Then I just jiggled the black box and servo connectors and now it works again. Yay!

Had a longer trip yesterday to a cruise night and back. Cruising AFR is getting there, probably one size down and it'll be set. WOT is still way too rich... It's about 10,5 AFR. Currently on size 62 jets, down from size 68 (stock jet)
    The council approves my carb swap (especially the gold valve covers and the shitton of removed vacuum crap)

I've got to remove the front door panel again, because the speakers I installed are rattling. I'm pretty sure it's just the speakers that are crap or me installing the upsidedown causes them to rattle. We shall see.

Oh hey, will any push-through center caps fit on stock steelies? Kinda want something shiny in the middle since I can't get my poverty caps attached and the rear spacer wouldn't be visible (they are kinda illegal).
    I'd really like my poverty caps, but I haven't found suitable steelies or a way to install the caps on my steelies. Mooneyes bolt-on bullet caps would be cool but I don't know if they clear the front hubs and they're really fcking expensive.

Drivers door panel is back on, speaker is correct way up now, ran some errands before I put the panel back on, the correctly oriented speaker doesn't seem to rattle.
    I slathered the window switch panel underside with some epoxy, the screwholes for the window and lock switches are all cracked and split, hopefully epoxy will keep the from completely breaking apart.

The BMW is ready for sale, but I'm in a kind of awkward situation with it. Work is starting next monday, so it'd be convenient to have an efficient daily. If I sell the beemer without getting another car in trade, I'd be stuck with commuting on the MGM for a while, which is far from ideal. I've calculated the approx. fuel cost, which would be about 30€ per DAY. 30€ off of a daily pay of about a hundred euros is a "bit" too much in my taste.

There's a video floating around the Internet from about a month ago of a guy putting a lawn mower carb on a 302. That might take care of your daily fuel costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrova View Post
    There's a video floating around the Internet from about a month ago of a guy putting a lawn mower carb on a 302. That might take care of your daily fuel costs.
    I included a link, about a month ago, if someone cares to look for it.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Yeah I've seen the video by Thunderhead289. Now the next step is to figure out how to adapt the TV cable to a mower carb.
    Or maybe I'll just get a daily driver instead, the MGM is way too nice to ruin in the salt shit anyways.

IMO its never a good idea to rely on a project car as your daily driver. Especially if its old and difficult to get parts for.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    IMO its never a good idea to rely on a project car as your daily driver. Especially if its old and difficult to get parts for.
    That's why you have another project car to drive if one breaks. I'm not financially able nor do I want to buy a vehicle that will be rock solid reliable for years to come.
    Two not-a-project cars is a good balance, if nothing else.

I have "my wife's car", my car, and the vacation hauler (Expedition). If my car has issues, I use the Expedition. I have yet to have them both down at once and need to use my wife's car. Basically all domestic beaters with plentiful mechanical parts. Thankfully all of mine are paid off as well. Helps allow me to afford fuel still with relative ease. "Not having a car payment lets me run a lot of fuel through my gas hogs." Only having liability/uninsured motorist coverage also helps, unless I wreck my own stuff, which is yet (and hopefully won't) happen. *knocks on all the wood*

I have 4 legal at the moment but only one is actually officially able to be my daily. The other three are on historic plates and one of the restrictions is that it can't be used to commute. My insurance also doesn't really let me do that either, though I can get away with it from time to time.

I've been relying on GM trucks for more than 20 years as my boring "it just works" vehicle though. I don't care all that much about them, but they work and I can get parts anywhere.

Heh, China.

I got the new belt tensioner, obviously it doesn't look even remotely like the RA picture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45942FRO__ra_p.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	57894

Here's the new and old side by side:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220527_133847.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	57895

Let's see
    -pulley size is different
    -pulley "valley" is very shallow and the edges are sharp, definitely ain't gonna help the belt stay on like the old one
    -the pulley is bolted on, convenient, but the belt turning the pulley CCW is mildly concerning
    -pulley bearing only has the grease seal, no dust protection whatsover
    -pulley is made of two halves, which are a bit misaligned
    -the back piece is very roughly cut, had to deburr all edges so it won't gouge the aluminium accessory bracket
    -square hole had some flash which I had to file so a square drive would actually fit the hole
    -pivot point bolt hole was too small, which I had to drill out, old one was threaded

Kvaliteeh!
    For now, I'll install the new one as soon as the rain stops, but I might look if I can save the original pulley atleast. Did someone say to dremel out the smooth "cap" on the bearing?

Keep the old one on hand and work on taking the "hubcap" off the original pulley. Once you get that off, you can use just a replacement pulley on the original part. Should just be a snap ring holding the pulley on.

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast