PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripminder Calculations

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Have a digital dash and a message center unit from an abandoned idea. They are chunky through-hole parts, no fuss to deal with. Just clean the boards of any leakage that may have occurred.

leaky caps are just a general pestilence with old electronics. In the Mark VII, the EATC, overhead console, radio, tripminder, anti-slosh module, and the speedometer itself have all had failed caps. Caps in the Towncar's ECM barfed and leaked goo on the board.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I pulled the logic module earlier tonight, and it all came apart surprisingly easily. Unfortunately, nothing really jumps out as wrong to me.

To my untrained eye, the capacitors all appear to be in good shape.

It's a little hard to tell from the angle, but there's a tiny little chip with three wires running to it that was screwed to the bottom of the case with some thermal paste and a small wafer between it and the aluminum. There looks to be an identical chip mounted to the larger board, and judging by the second screw hole on the case it might have originally been mounted separately as well.

I assume all the marshmallow-like stuff is some sort of factory-applied insulation, and not some catastrophic failure.

This module did pass the quick test perfectly, except for some discrepancy between itself and the fuel gauge, which is known to be screwy. I do see some marks on the contact points with the wire connector, but I don't know if it's significant enough to cause any trouble.

Now that I've got this thing cracked open, is there anything I should be doing while I'm in here?

Wow, it looks brand new and quality on top of that, although I was only 16 days old when it was built.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I believe the 3 prong chip with the thermal paste is a voltage regulator.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

yeah, voltage regulator.

The white rubbery crap is basically like RTV gasket maker, just a slightly different compound that doesn't have acid to rot electronics. This one looks a lot different inside than the unit I have hanging around, but I think that one came out of an 82. That one was chock full of parts, this one is much more sealed, probably more reliable honestly.

Any evidence of leakage around the 3 caps on the board? The tubular things with wires sticking out of each end. usually when they get real bad it will start to ooze out of the rubber sealed end. More typically its the small ones that go bad too.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I was not quite seven years away from being born when this thing was made.

There are a lot of Ford part numbers on this thing, and it appears they were making a lot of changes over the years. Maybe half of the little doodads attached to the boards have E0 numbers, a couple have E1s, and the rest are E6s. The pictures I posted may not be quite large enough, but there are little Motorola logos on some of the black rectangular bits.

The case is certainly robust, but there are two large openings on the bottom. When I was removing the connectors with it still mounted under the dash, I could see right in between the boards to some of the capacitors. So the whole works have been exposed to air and whatever moisture was in it, but I guess dust wasn't able to settle inside.

Capacitors all look solid. I can't see any deformations on the three big ones, or any of the smaller caps or diodes. All the circuitry looks to be intact, too, although the board with the most junk on it is bowed slightly.

I think I'll just clean up the case, apply new thermal paste to the voltage regulator, and put it all back together. I'm sure I could analyze it more with a multimeter, but I don't know what I'm doing so I doubt I'd find anything useful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12