PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Window Run Channel

Default Window Run Channel

For those that have replaced the front window run channels does the factory stuff go all the way down to the bottom of the track inside the door? Iím hoping not as Iím not very good at removing door panels without something breaking. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you have a 79-91 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis, here is a pic of the front door run channel seal. Rear is 24" long, across the top is 19" and along the windshield is 29" long. This is for a front door without vent window. BTW, I have nice good used ones if anybody needs them. WagonMan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP6505.jpg  
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

all the CFI are belong to me

Quote Originally Posted by matth825 View Post
    For those that have replaced the front window run channels does the factory stuff go all the way down to the bottom of the track inside the door? I’m hoping not as I’m not very good at removing door panels without something breaking. Thanks!

You should run it all the way down the track, yes. The window may escape the channel or otherwise just rattle excessively if it isn't inside of it for the longest possible length.

On front doors, the front edge is critical for this, the back edge is less critical but still helps. If you have to pick either the front or back edge to be short a couple inches, the back is better for that, but either way you still need to go below the "beltline" of the car, so to speak.

Current driver: 84 TC
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 85 CS | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

Thanks guys! I neglected to include in my first post the car is a Ď85 4 door CV with vent windows.

WagonmanÖdo you have a good used set for a vent window door?

Looks like Iíll be enlisting the help of a friend with gentler hands to help me replace them. I think the ideal situation would be to use a good used piece above the belt line(seems like the corner fitment would be better with one) and then using some of the WC-3396 below the belt line to fill in the rest of the track since the factory one doesnít go all the way down.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Using new bulk material is really the way to go. Most of the original pieces are pretty well toast by now. Its really not that difficult, just have to be careful with the cuts and use a bit of sealer if needed in the corners to close the gaps up. I sucked at arts and crafts in school but even I managed to get fairly good results. I do suggest getting a decent pair of scissors though.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I don't have any extras for a vent window car. I have 3 wagons with vent windows, so I am keeping what I have. The non-vent seals are close, but would need lots of slices in them to make the short tight bends on the vent window frame. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Lol yeah arts and crafts was definitely not something I enjoyed. Iíll go the new bulk material route and get a good pair of heavy duty scissorsÖand make sure to take my time.

The Wc-3396 seems to be hard to find. Most places are sold out but I found one that claims to have stock.

Last edited by matth825; 05-30-2022 at 07:30 PM.

You might want to checkout www.steelerubber.com - they have all kinds of neat weatherstripping products. Hope you can find something that works. Call or email them for help.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Thx! Iíll send them an email and see what they can do.

I know others have had success with the WC3396, I did my front doors and I wasn't exactly impressed with the fit. Performance (wind noise reduction) is better than the cracked factory ones, but the fitment is kinda poor. The whole run channel sinks into the window channel itself and doesn't "flare" out like the factory weatherstripping. The run channel doesn't guide in the glass at all. Not really a problem if the glass rises up into the frame very precisely, otherwise it pinches and crushes the seal and pisses me off.

If you can, I'd recommend getting factory style pieces over the generic style (like WC3396). Used OEM run channels will fit the best, but will probably deteriorate fast, like gadget said.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"

The glass on mine seems to rise up properly but Iíll take a closer look at it before I commit to doing anything. Good to know it doesnít guide the window in as well as the original.

I reached out to the company that Frankie mentioned. I also reached out to Fairchild Industries (who is actually local to my area). Iím hoping they have something or would be willing to make something. I could easily bring them my car if they need an example. Iíll keep this post updated if it goes anywhere with them. If they are willing to do something Iíd want everyone here to benefit, too.

Fairchild sells through EBAY, Summit Racing and many other outlets. I am sure there are many more companies providing these products so complete research is key. Just to be clear, I have NO financial connection to Steele Rubber but only suggested them as I have their catalogs and their coverage is large. Mike Campellone is the guy I dealt with but as previously stated, look everywhere possible until you are satisfied and let us know what you find!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

I called Fairchild today and they are not willing to do anything nor do they have any universal material that will work. I emailed Steele the other day but havenít heard back. Iíll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on MikeÖIíll ask for him and see what he can do.

Didnít have time to make the call today. When I got home from work I did more searching and cannot find the Wc-3396 anywhere. Iím going to put metro molded in my call list for tomorrow to see if they discontinued it. I did find this website however: https://www.rubbertherightway.com/wi...s-9420-ctg.htm

I have a piece of window channel I pulled from a junkyard car. Iíll measure it up over the weekend and see if I can find a suitable channel from that website.

Last edited by matth825; 06-02-2022 at 10:01 PM.

GMN Regular

A little late to the party but I thought Iíd share my experience. I did these maybe a year and a half ago and they still look good. I ordered the WC3396 from rockauto but received WC5900-20. It seems the channel gasket is the same but it comes with addition pieces for window scrapers since itís a kit for a 75-94 Chevy van. I didnít use the scrapers because theyíre a different shape and length than ours. I didnít go that deep into the doors and it doesnít rattle or move. Also one one side I cut the gasket thinking that would help it seat into the 90* bend but it was unnecessary as the other side sat fine with some help from the window. Overall, it came out looking good and got rid of the wind noise from the pieces that were missing.

I checked for that kit on RockAuto but they didnít have it either. I called Metro Moulded and they do have some WC3396 available. It looks like Iím stuck buying it from them at $60 bucks a piece! Yikes! Hoping Steele can come up with something but if not Iíll suck it up and pay Metro Moulded since the consensus is itís the best option available. All the pictures Iíve seen on here of it do look good. $120 is a small price to pay to have windows that seal.

Last edited by matth825; 06-03-2022 at 08:18 PM.

fomoco panthers !

Try Ebay listing 373997767395 There is one available without packaging.
    Jegs seems to have it too.

Thx for the eBay item number. I just bought that piece. Iíll check out jegs for the other piece Iíll need.