PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red engine light

As an aside, why does the engine get sluggish when too hot? Are metal parts expanding with heat and rubbing against each other?

intake air gets really hot and it can't burn enough fuel to get any power. The intake will be dang near as hot so the intake air temp goes up as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Well, it happened again on the way back from work, coolant sensor wire wasn't touching anything but the light went off when I pulled over and unplugged the wire and plugged it back in while the engine was running. What do you guys think? Coolant isn't boiling over or anything and it was running just fine this time
    Last edited by 91merc; 08-12-2022 at 02:39 PM.

I post a lot...

Have a non-contact thermometer? Or even a contact thermometer for that matter?
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

Our non contact one broke a while back unfortunately, but I put some liquid electrical tape on the bare wire and wire brushed the crusty post on the sensor and its not done it since

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    91, I am guess from your answer to Lincolnmania that the light does not go off if the engine rpms are increased?
    Correct

Well it happened again so i think it's just the sensor, isn't getting hot or steaming or running rough

Funny enough, I don't remember that light coming on the time I actually was overheating

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

check the oil pressure with a real gauge, check the temperature with a real gauge. Its the only way to know for sure. Fair guess if it had no oil pressure or was massively overheated you'd know but having warning lights on just freaks me out too much to ignore it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I bought a set of gauges for the car, just haven't had enough time off work to install them

I don't think it's oil pressure because the light goes off when I unplug the coolant sensor

Could rust in the cooling system somehow be messing with things?
    Last edited by 91merc; 08-13-2022 at 06:07 PM.

The corrosion you've talked about on the sensor contacts could be masking a shorted sensor. There may also be corrosion inside the plug harness causing issues. Might be worth replacing that sensor as they're relatively inexpensive. Might also be a good idea to check further up the wires to make sure there's not more broken insulation making contact in other locations.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

the sensor doesn't really care about the coolant. its a sealed thing with a switch built into it. They can just go bad though.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    the sensor doesn't really care about the coolant. its a sealed thing with a switch built into it. They can just go bad though.

I guess what I was asking is if rusty coolant / running straight water for an extended period of time would make the sensor go bad because the PO ran straight water for who knows how long and screwed the whole cooling system, I've had to replace every component of the cooling system
    Last edited by 91merc; 08-14-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Unless it corroded through the outer casing of the sensor, no. But they do fail without that happening too, so worth the replacement since you're already having issues with it. You can always put a meter across the leads and if it's shorted just sitting there with no heat in it, it's bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12