PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C not working

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

A good rust-free car is a nice thing to have. After all the rust headaches from the Towncar and the black Mark VII not-rusty became a condition of buying things. The white Mark VII and the Continental both pass that test with flying colors.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Sorry for the late response, work got in the way
    DerektheGreat, my car does not have the JBL option. It is the premium version. But I wouldn't sell any parts off that car anyway. The radio is broken though. Went to the shop to get a harness for the aftermarket radio and the Tech told me that there has been alot of problems with these radios back in the day. It was the faceplate that always broke and they aren't available anymore for about 10 years or so. I'll sell you the broken radio though...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series: "Don Vito Corleone" my Summer Cruise
    2004 Grand Marquis LS: "The Boss" with floor shifter (love it) my current daily driver
    1997 Crown Victoria: "Victoria, the Armadillo" R.I.P.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car: "Nikkatello" - R.I.P. (Miss you the most)
    1995 Grand Marquis: "Gustavo Gonzales, the dirty Mexican" - R.I.P.

I don't believe the tech. The radio I pulled from my car was and is still very much minty as well as the premium amp & speaker garbage that went with it which is all boxed up and stashed somewhere. I'm looking for the badges, they go on the speaker grilles & say "Ford-JBL" on them. But '88 & up had different style logo and mounting tabs IIRC. Guess I don't care so much now, but when I upgraded my stereo system to uh, Enhanced JBL I wanted them pretty bad. With the window tint you can barely see the badges in bright sunlight.

Anyway, I've pulled probably fifteen of those radios from junkyards, every one of them worked for me. Maybe I got lucky, but I'll sell you one of those if you want it. I might even be able to be persuaded to part with a Ford-JBL amp, which is a direct upgrade over the premium one. Doubt I'll ever use it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

fomoco panthers !

I have one of those faceplates new in the box. Bought it in the 90s. it wasn't cheap then. The volume control on those radios gets floppy and won't work. For the right price I will sell it. More than likely will go on Ebay. Good luck to anyone finding a new one now.

all the CFI are belong to me

+1, I have one of the flappy-paddle radios with what seem to be front panel failures.

Current: 83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC
    Junkyards

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I had to re-cap mine. Lots of nasty juice leakage on the board causing stupid problems. And the flappy paddle fails. Its really not the best radio Ford ever made. I only wanted one because its the radio that belongs in my Mark VII, but the slightly newer radio that replaced it seems to be less miserable of a device. Lots less annoying to work on thats for sure.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

I liked the stock stereo as far as how it looked and that it was OEM. As Gaget said, when they get old they get miserable and more miserable. I replaced both of mine with Kenwood units. Good units however not elder eyesight friendly. At least they fit well.
    Unless a person is talented to work on the stock stereo, they are worthless when broken.

I've got a box of 80s Ford radio parts and I think it has a bunch of the mid-80s faceplates in black and in chrome (didn't know that was an option?). Someone remind me to look for it when I get ashore.
    I think we're off topic for the A/C, though.

I have no intentions to fix this radio or replace it with an OEM radio. But I'll keep it, because it belongs to the car. I will put my old SONY in, which has a USB port for my USB stick with my tunes. I don't have any music cassettes anymore and the crap they play on the radio stations nowadays just plainly sucks.

On that note, I thank you all for your input. At least no I know where to start with the A/C. (Haven't had time yet to bring it yo the shop) This Forum is awesome filled with GREAT people and fellow enthusiasts for the good old panthers.

Oh, one last thing, for those who name their cars, I decided on a name for my new addition. His name is going to be: "Don Vito Corleone"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12