Making Some Non-Car Threads Public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Some Non-Car Threads Public?

Is there a way to make some non-car threads public so that people can see them without signing in? My exercise and eye alignment threads, for example, are intended to help people, but the limited audience is kind of disappointing, and I’m not really interested in signing up with other sites.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

bump

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

There isn't any way to alter permissions on specific threads, its all set based on the forum they are posted in. Most of them are publicly visible anyway so they should be viewable to anyone.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

One possibility that came to mind is creating a separate forum for public interest issues viewable by non-members. I recall CVN having a "Lizard Lounge" that non-members could see and a "Smoking Lizard Lounge" that only members who signed in could see. (I'm not aware of them having something like "The Battlefield" requiring additional permission, but I do recall at least one thread being moved from the non-member forum to the member-only forum.) An issue that would arise for particular existing threads is consent of people who had posted, so starting from scratch would probably be best if it can be done.

Comment

I think the idea here is to have a public facing OTB subforum to move the threads to since OTB is members only.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            I think the idea here is to have a public facing OTB subforum to move the threads to since OTB is members only.
            I don’t know much about the technicalities and jargon, but something like that. Basically a ‘cleaner’ version of OTB that can be seen by non-members. I recall at least one thread relating to a class action, and that would be another example of something worthy of a wider audience. With the consent issue, it might be better to say “to make new threads in” rather than “to move the threads to”.

BTW, when I tried to post a similar response shortly before this one, I got the following error message: “An unexpected error was returned: 'User grandma_vbulleti already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections' ”.​ Edit: then the prior response showed up after I posted this one, so I deleted the prior one.

Comment

Yeah... Looks like you may have found a server issue. We were probably getting crawled by a search engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

FWIW, not that there is a vote necessarily, but I would vote against making a publicly visible off-topic discussion area (especially if that entailed changing the visibility on the current one).

We are a car forum with a specific area of focus. I don't think it serves any particularly helpful interest to make our non-core-content be available to those who aren't signed in. Some considerations, not that they necessarily apply to or would concern all people:
                • Opening up the visibility also allows opens the door to search engine indexing. Objectionable topics could cause us to be penalized in search engine results. Additionally, members with very distinctive usernames which they use elsewhere might not want their usernames showing up in search results closely connected to results for objectionable topics.
                • Off-topic threads on hot-button issues could draw in new member registrations and posting activity who have no relation to our core content, which costs server resources and impacts the experience of our member base (and we already seem to operate near the limits of our host on a regular basis).
                • I think we should aspire to build out our "high value" content - e.g. a knowledgebase, maybe a wiki, maybe a blogging platform to tell the stories of our cars - and publicly visible discussion of, for example, trying to disprove the existence of man-made climate change discredits us as a community. For clarity's sake, I have no problem with the discussion taking place, but I don't think we should be wearing it as our public presence, like a face tattoo of who you vote for when you walk into a job interview.
                • Members may have adjusted their tone or openness to discuss certain topics with the specific knowledge that their post was not going to be publicly indexed, and as much as it is unrealistic to expect that something you put in a "somewhat public" place will never become "completely public", we still have an opportunity to protect that expectation anyway.
                • A point that ties all the above together: once you put it out there, you can never take it back. Great caution should always be exercised when deciding to put something out in the public realm.
                Therefore, my position is that our public visibility should be our core content.

And as an interesting aside, this subforum is visible to the public and I have some concerns about that as well.
                Last edited by kishy; 02-19-2024, 01:28 PM. Reason: added a point, and reduced some harshness.

Current driver: wagon
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                X