85 CV HO swap. fbmp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 CV HO swap. fbmp

Nice car, needs a good home. If I had the space I'd snatch it up.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...84305736466070

It's been marked as sold, so hopefully it's going to a good home. Looks like a clean car. I'd certainly prefer some form of EFI if it were me, but I know the Venn diagram of people who like old cars and people who like EFI is two circles that just barely brush up against each other rather than meaningfully overlapping.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
      the Venn diagram of people who like old cars and people who like EFI is two circles that just barely brush up against each other
      *unless it's new efi, ie holley sniper or such. Because everyone and their mother wants that for some reason.
      I know a guy who couldn't arse diagnosing the SEFI 5.0 in his '88 F150 and dropped 1500€ on a sniper kit... Like congrats you paid to go backwards in technology.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

*unless it's new efi, ie holley sniper or such. Because everyone and their mother wants that for some reason.
        I know a guy who couldn't arse diagnosing the SEFI 5.0 in his '88 F150 and dropped 1500€ on a sniper kit... Like congrats you paid to go backwards in technology.
        I mean...I dunno, I found EEC-IV intimidating before I really dug deep with it.
        I understand what those people are going for. They reason that "it's new, so it'll just work" and that its relative popularity means everyone and their cousin can troubleshoot it, and that parts are readily available.

But when you learn your way around the factory stuff, it's not particularly hard to keep it "just working" and the parts are out there to be found, often for cheap.

As far as carb swapping goes, if you plan to keep the car forever for yourself, and you know carbs (or your preferred carb, at least) really well, and you feel comfortable with that - it totally makes sense. But carb swapping a car to turn around and sell it, in 2024, when there are more buyers in the market who have never seen a carb before than those who have, seems ridiculous.

Current driver: wagon
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post

I mean...I dunno, I found EEC-IV intimidating before I really dug deep with it.
          I understand what those people are going for. They reason that "it's new, so it'll just work" and that its relative popularity means everyone and their cousin can troubleshoot it, and that parts are readily available.

But when you learn your way around the factory stuff, it's not particularly hard to keep it "just working" and the parts are out there to be found, often for cheap.

As far as carb swapping goes, if you plan to keep the car forever for yourself, and you know carbs (or your preferred carb, at least) really well, and you feel comfortable with that - it totally makes sense. But carb swapping a car to turn around and sell it, in 2024, when there are more buyers in the market who have never seen a carb before than those who have, seems ridiculous.
          A carb conversion on an old american v8 is so easy, cheap and parts readily available, so whether you're an old fart or a clueless noob, "it just works" is an easy excuse. Kinda the same goes with modern retrofit efi, the youngsters don't want carbs and old guys "just want it to work". The ones who want originality, keep fixing stuff.

Old fuel injection happens to be a bit more finicky due to aging components and just being old. It won't go to limp mode and say "visit workshop" from a slight misfire and it won't tell you exactly what's wrong with it like OBD2 and CAN bus, but it's simpler.

I just hate seeing factory stuff thrown in the bin on a whim. If you're gonna hotrod it, do it, no problem there. But throwing away factory stuff because you couldn't be arsed to delve a little deeper into it just hurts my heart. If you didn't care that much, you most likely won't care much more to do the conversion properly either. End result probably being worse than if you'd just have fixed the factory stuff.

On many other things people aren't as keen to throwing a carb on, maybe you're tired of the D-jetronic on your M30B30, but 2 grand for a proper carb conversion keeps you tinkering anyways.

I'm not ragging on this Vic linked here, engine bay is cleaned up pretty well and seems like it's done nicely. Even has a modified TV-rod. Swapping an SEFI engine to a CFI car would require some more specific knowledge and parts.

SPOILER
          Last edited by Arquemann; 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Working...
          X