Panther?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panther?

Found this at the yard today, it was in great shape too. I've never seen one like it. The sticker said it was a 1979 Lincoln Versailles?..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171012_085636.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1304025

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171012_085607.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1282440 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171012_085620.jpg
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1282441

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171012_085644.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1282442

Comment

'tis not a Panther. Shared platform with Monarch and Granada (note the Granada name went on to the Fox platform also, but this is pre-Fox).

Being a period Ford it might have various miscellaneous bits a box owner might benefit from, but nothing of great significance that I know of at least.

I do think these are a popular donor of 9" rear ends for retrofits into something, but I don't recall what that something is.
        Last edited by kishy; 10-12-2017, 09:52 PM.

Current driver: wagon
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

The rear swaps into the first gen mustangs, 65-66, pretty much bolt in. The disc brakes used to be nice but aftermarket kits have made them largely obsolete.

The interior of that one is mint. Of no use to me but if I had a Granada...
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Looks like someone already scored the 9 inch disc brakes rear axle out of that one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That Lincoln Versailles looks exactly like the one I had. Same colors. They were a nice comfortable mid size car. I liked the Granada/Monarchs 1975-1980. Owned many of them. Owned one Versailles. It was a very overpriced Ford/Mercury. The two junkyard pictures in the past couple of days is more than I have seen of these cars in the past five years.

Comment

That Lincoln Versailles looks exactly like the one I had. Same colors. They were a nice comfortable mid size car. I liked the Granada/Monarchs 1975-1980. Owned many of them. Owned one Versailles. It was a very overpriced Ford/Mercury. I think my 79 sticker priced at $14,000. My Last 80 Granada sticker priced at $7,800. Junkyard pictures in the past couple of days from two people, is more than I have seen of these cars in the past five years. I would not mind having another nice one.

Comment

What Tom said.
                  Ford got jealous of the profits GM was reaping/raping with their shitty overpriced Seville so decided they wanted a seat at the table too. Well, out popped the Versailles, a rehashed economy car with a luxury name. Didn't do as well as the Seville for whatever reason. The Seville is also junk to me. Looks so cheap & chincy, why anyone thought those were better than the Fleetwoods is beyond me...

I don't think those got disc brakes though, did they? Thought that was only the Mark V...
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

WHat's a shame is to see yet another junkyard with a dipsh!t forklift operator. Look at the bang in the (what was) perfectly good fender. A true fork lift operator doesn't damage the product at least on the face - I know you don't have much control scooping/lifting from under the car. I know that old does not mean valuable - but look at that car. Wonderful donor pieces for someone restoring (is there someone out there restoring?).
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Agreed Nick, I hate seeing them bash up perfectly good cars by being lazy and careless, but when you look at the people doing it, kinda makes sense. None of them look to be likely candidates for a scholarship do they?

Comment

Yep, I too forgot to comment on that. Went to yard to scavenge some pieces for our Mark VII and thought about getting the front clip for funsies but nope, bottoms of the fenders were crushed. They weren't even that krispy. Such a shame.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                        X