1979 LTD two-door w/ 351 in Scranton, PA - $5000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 LTD two-door w/ 351 in Scranton, PA - $5000

So, what do y'all think this car is really worth?

Attached Files
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Mas pictoras.
    Attached Files
    —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Y mas.
      Attached Files
      —John

Comment

mismatched mirrors.... but it's really clean at first glance. I'd say about 2500-3000. It's a stripper model.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          mismatched mirrors...stripper model
          These items go hand-in-hand. The passenger side mirror was added by the owner later when their stripper model lack of passenger mirror became an annoyance

The manual mirror knob (or hole for it) is not present by the column so it was definitely not factory equipped.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
            These items go hand-in-hand. The passenger side mirror was added by the owner later when their stripper model lack of passenger mirror became an annoyance

The manual mirror knob (or hole for it) is not present by the column so it was definitely not factory equipped.
            Figured as much. I would put a low miles (re: under 50K) perfect LX model in the $4-5K range. This car, not so much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I wanna know why the heck all these 79's show up with the 351W. It's like every other one I look at has it. Were people used to getting the bigger engine in bigger cars?

I like it. Good exterior color for the oh so awesome irreplaceable green interior. I say asking price is steep but take 20% for negotiation and it's reasonable.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I think it was the stock option and the smaller engines were optional.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post

Indeed. Optional was a remote operated driver's side mirror, which this car has and then the only other option was dual remote operated mirrors.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  I wanna know why the heck all these 79's show up with the 351W. It's like every other one I look at has it. Were people used to getting the bigger engine in bigger cars?
                  I'd say people were. I've seen lots of stripper barges with 460's in them. 5.0 was standard, the 5.8 was an option in '79.

Interesting options, it appears to have illuminated entry & A/C but then clock delete.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Been watching this one for a couple months now; debated stopping on my way home from Carlisle a few weeks ago, but I didn't.

My initial thought is that it is not as good as it appears.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I just don't understand the appeal of the poverty model.

And what the hell was wrong with people in the 70s? Puke green vinyl? Why?
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

I don't like it for its poverty-ness, but I definitely want one of those header panels. Not exactly an item that turns up often though.

I can't say I've seen a Panther with that interior yet, and over the last 5 years I've seen a pretty good number of them. Must have been a very early thing only, much like the 351, to satisfy buyers with weird taste who were trading in their weirdly optioned 70s cars with weird interiors.

Current driver: wagon
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

Well in the 70s, the LTDs had the 351, 351M, 400 & 460 engines. People were not used to having small blocks in a big car. It just was not done. Starting in 79 with the new body style, the 302, 255 (1980-1982) 351 were the motors offered. Buyers had not made the mental change yet so many of the large cars were ordered up with 351s.
                          When I see this car and hear Scranton PA. I remember how the economy was then. That car speaks volumes of how much the average person could afford. If they could afford a new car, it was low trim level, low optioned.
                          That color green actually is pretty nice. The color grows on a person, like fungus. It is a very nice car. I think it is worth $1,800-$2,500. Could be worth more if it was not a 79 with a 351. Ford made the lower ends poorly on the 351 in that year. More than likely has a C-4 trans.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

LoL, this all the way.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                            X