Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brass tv bushing/ clip

where do i find one?
    I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

If you go to junkyards at all, check every 5.0/AOD car you walk past.

Ford dealers sell them, but for way too much money.

There are also third party ones sold on various websites which can be found via Google.

F3SZ-7H303-B is the Ford part number. But beware, it's usually only available in a pack of 4 now, so the price Ford quotes you will be multiplied by 4.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Says brass, but looks like aluminum. I have an aluminum one.
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Ebay has them, 4-pack for $10 IIRC. If you can't find one I'll send you a care package
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Brass, steel, aluminum, same-same. I've seen steel ones for sale on ebay. Not sure if Ford still sells the original brass piece but basically anything that is not plastic will do the job just fine.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Brass, steel, aluminum, same-same. I've seen steel ones for sale on ebay. Not sure if Ford still sells the original brass piece but basically anything that is not plastic will do the job just fine.
            With an exception: carb and CFI benefit from the plastic one. It fits better and there's no leverage force trying to separate it.

But for SEFI, metal all the way.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
              With an exception: carb and CFI benefit from the plastic one. It fits better and there's no leverage force trying to separate it.
              Yeah I never install the metal ones on the SEFIs how the factory wants them installed, just cause of that reason. Bushing always goes on top of the lever, this way it doesn't have the extra leverage trying to pop that tiny retaining clip off the even tinier lip it latches onto. The extra wide surface of the bushing also helps the clip sit square and not try to get cocked and spit out when the lever goes to its WOT position.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

The rod linkage doesn't fall apart and torch the transmission like the cable ones do, so the plastic is not such a problem there. If it falls off, the pressure goes max and it won't shift out of first gear. Annoying, but it won't turn into a trans rebuild in 10 miles.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  The rod linkage doesn't fall apart and torch the transmission like the cable ones do, so the plastic is not such a problem there. If it falls off, the pressure goes max and it won't shift out of first gear. Annoying, but it won't turn into a trans rebuild in 10 miles.
                  I've seen this repeated many times, but I have two CFI cars and a factory carb car that say otherwise. If disconnected from the throttle, it returns to the zero throttle position by spring tension down at (or in?) the trans just like SEFI.

When connected properly, I've had them jam at the full throttle position and get stuck in first...but that's a different thing entirely.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

I've seen this repeated many times, but I have two CFI cars and a factory carb car that say otherwise. If disconnected from the throttle, it returns to the zero throttle position by spring tension down at (or in?) the trans just like SEFI.

When connected properly, I've had them jam at the full throttle position and get stuck in first...but that's a different thing entirely.
                    Now, something I've never tested: maybe, when the rod is at the fully returned position (extended as far as possible towards the front of the car, which is slightly past the fully closed throttle position), perhaps the TV pressure goes high below the low end threshold.

If that's the case then it explains where that "no connection = full TV" thing comes from.

But I can say with certainty that the linkage itself does not go to the full TV position. The only way it could happen is if, internally in the trans, the valve goes full pressure if you turn it down below the lowest possible pressure.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

But I can say with certainty that the linkage itself does not go to the full TV position.
                      Correct! There is no difference between the direction the lever is spring-loaded internally in the trans, if left to its own devices it will default towards the no pressure position. The only difference in the linkage is the push vs. pull setup, but that's it, once the control end of the cable/rod is disconnected from the TB lever the linkage will return to its engine-at-idle position (cable pulled for SEFI, rod pushed forward for CFI).

Comment

Originally posted by Bad-Driver1 View Post
                        where do i find one?
                        TransmissionpartsUSA,

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

If you strike out i'm pretty sure I have a shitload of them. Let me know and i'll send you one.

Comment

Working...
                          X