rear coil spring removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear coil spring removal

Alright everyone, who can tell me the easiest method of removing the rear coil springs on my 98 grand marquis? I don't want to pull the rear shocks and sway bar unless absolutely necessary

You should be able to do it by following these steps:
    1. Lift the car good and high by the frame
    2. Detach the shocks from the axle only. Swing them to one side enough to clear the mounting brackets/bolts
    3. Use a long pry bar (I find a length of 2"x4" works well) and pull the axle downward, providing enough clearance to pull the springs out
    That is assuming you don't have air ride suspension.
    Good luck.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was hoping that I would not have to remove the shock mounting bolts. I do own both strut spring compressors and coil spring compressors, would either of these allow me to not remove the shocks?

Comment

no need to remove the bolts, just take the nut off the end and remove the shock from the bolt, push to the side of the bolt... then lift the car up higher.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Alright, sounds like I'm going to give removing the nut a shot, my main concern is rust

Comment

A little PB Baster will do wonders.
            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
            Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
            Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
            Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Pb is an amazing product, especially in Minnesota

Comment

Basically, what's been said up to this point is valid.

In my case I've done my rear springs twice, once going from factory original to CC819 wagon cargo coils and then from CC819s to CC817 sedan cargo coils.

I've used both "inside" and "outside" style spring compressors. I tried to remove my shock nuts (there is no "bolt" on factory shocks, it's captive, held in a bushing on the bottom end of the shock) but the captive bolt/stud was spinning so I had to give that idea up. If you can successfully detach the shocks then you don't need spring compressors at all, but I wouldn't start the job without having some available.

The inside spring compressor will punish you. Don't do it! You'll think you're all perfectly good to go when you get the old one out and then realize how screwed you are when putting the new one in and can't get the thing positioned right to be able to be undone. Go with the pair of outside compressors all the way, just make sure you use the safety pins and do them up roughly the same amount at a time.

Using the outside compressors it was a fast and easy job. For the side(s) with an exhaust pipe, you may opt to remove the wheel and wiggle the spring out the wheel well, since the exhaust will interfere with getting it out under the car.

In case it doesn't go without saying: jack the car up by the bottom of the diff housing (don't wreck the cover!) as high as you can get it with the front wheels chocked in both directions. Set up your jack stands at a good point on the frame (in front of each back wheel, before the frame curves upwards are good) and then gently let the diff down with your jack...if your stands aren't dinky little toys, you should have plenty of clearance to work with since the diff is the lowest lift point and therefore you get the car higher (supposedly the diff is not considered a good lift point, but unless you have catastrophic structural issues in your axle housing, shouldn't be a problem)
                Last edited by kishy; 10-02-2014, 11:32 PM.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Out of all the Panthers that I have worked on from the north I don't think I've ever had trouble with the rear lower shock retaining nut. A car from the northeast however may be a different story.
                  Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                  Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                  Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                  Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

We shall see over this weekend how the last 16 years of Minnesota winter have affected the but, hopefully not much

Comment

My car is a Newfoundland car, where salt spray from the ocean comes from and I have never had an issue with removing the lower shock nuts.
                      The upper nuts however are usually a job for a reciprocating saw and a long blade...
                      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you find the nut breaks loose but is a bitch turning on the threads, you can supplement your favorite penetrating oil by cleaning the bolt/stud threads with a wire brush or, better yet, a wire wheel on a drill or grinder. Even if you can only get to half the threads, it should be enough of an improvement (at least with a wire wheel) to get the nut off. I usually find that cleaning the threads properly before reassembly gets things pretty close to normal. You can also add anti-seize to avoid future problems.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                        X