fuel level sender died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel level sender died

It seems my fuel level sender has suddenly died. It's possible the float failed or came off - I had a nearly full tank of gas and the next morning it read empty.

From searching here and several of my main parts sources, I guess these are not reproduced for my car - 89 Grand Marquis, 302 EFI.

If it's just the float, seems like an easy fix. If not... has anyone worked out a good fix? Am I the guinea pig?

First, check the electrical connection to make sure it didn't just fall off.

You want to run down to about a quarter to third tank if possible. The level sender is accessible without dropping the tank. If you have a 90/91, it's an all-in-one pump and sender unit. The gasket is going to be the hardest part to get. Parts counters will try to get you the ~5 inch one for the pump and not the ~3 inch one for the sender. Once the tank is low enough, you can take out the sender and check the float for holes (gas will be draining out of any holes probably). New floats can be had (search for 1980 Bronco fuel float... IIRC, that pulls up the brass float straight away). You can also try soldering the hole closed after draining the float and drying it. Don't want it blowing up in your face should the fuel inside decide to spark off. Better to clean that out first. The floats are pretty inexpensive though, so you have options.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Like Sly said, check the connection to the sender, THEN make a jumper and cross the two connections on the cable. Turn the key on and see if the gas gauge swings to full. If it does, then it is definitely the float or sender. I never use the skinny FORD oem gasket, I use a Chrysler gasket, Part# 3404451. It is made to fit the same sender. Link to buy one on E-bay below. AMAZON wants $108! for one gasket! WINGNUT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27343556197...pid=1022102810
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Thanks guys. I knew there would be something helpful here. That Chrysler gasket looks like a good way to go.

Comment

I've attempted to solder brass carb floats before, never had much luck with it. Usually by the time one pinholes, the brass is so thin that it basically just vaporizes when trying to solder it. Haven't tried it on a fuel level float but I suspect it would be a similar story.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah... they are pretty thin to begin with. I imagine they would be near tissue paper by the time they crap out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I spent this weekend in 2006 Mercury Milan suspension hell. Might be a week or two before I get back to the big Merc. If it turns out the float failed I'll probably figure out a way to rig a new one (Bronco as suggested, or whatever) rather than try to solder anything.

Comment

There are new complete reproduction sender assemblies sold for your application, and there are also NOS ones that turn up from time to time on eBay.
                Example of new production: Herko 539GE https://www.ebay.com/itm/174749842864
                (which I believe is actually just a US company slapping their name on a generic part produced in China and therefore available cheaper if you know where to look, but increased effort and shipping time wouldn't be worth the 20 or so dollars)

I have one of the above item and the resistance range and build quality seemed to check out OK. That's as far as I got with it as I bought it mostly out of curiosity and it's a spare now.

That being said, it's likely that your problem is the float, and you can use either the brass or identically-shaped plastic ones. My plastic ones are doing fine after a few years. It seems that the float was close to being a universal part among domestic automakers from sometime in the 60s until sometime in the 90s, with some exceptions.

Last edited by kishy; 06-26-2023, 03:40 PM.

Current driver: wagon
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

I installed the ebay Herko sender this weekend. Looks like a quality part. I know our cars are not a huge market for parts anymore but it's weird to me that these aren't carried by any of the usual suppliers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fuel level sender.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	1390705

It occurred to me that my Mustang lock ring tool might work, and it was perfect. Available for a reasonable price here:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/lock-ring-tool-fuel-tank/215065?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3D fuel%252Bsender%252Bwrench%26top_parent%3D200001%2 6year%3D

If anyone does need a replacement float, I'm 99.9% sure this one will work:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/float-fuel-tank-sender-brass-repro/150125?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3D fuel%252Btank%252Bfloat%26top_parent%3D200001%26ye ar%3D
                  Last edited by sly; 08-07-2023, 09:02 PM. Reason: Fixed the links. Use the link button if your links have spaces instead of just pasting them into the post.

Comment

Working...
                  X