88 Town Car random misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cruise did work last time I tested it, shoot
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

I think I remember kishy discussing this in his thread: kishy's 1991 Grand Marquis - GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters​. Something about the length of the sensor's arm and/or the solenoid(?) deals on the passenger wheel well getting sticky.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        I think I remember kishy discussing this in his thread: kishy's 1991 Grand Marquis - GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters​. Something about the length of the sensor's arm and/or the solenoid(?) deals on the passenger wheel well getting sticky.
        I did touch on some operating theory but nothing that really seems to deal with this problem. Gadget did talk about the VSS thing on one of my threads as well, but not in any more detail than he did here.
        I seem to recall that there is an allowable/designed amount of vacuum to pass through the EVR, but I don't remember why I think that. When I was substantially more not good at troubleshooting things 10 years ago, I did try to figure out suspected EGR problems on my 91 (which functions the same as 88), but I never got into it this far really.

With my 85 more recently (which does not really work the exact same way - same theory but different parts) I did a deeper dive on it, but that also doesn't really help here.

Basically, if an EGR code is present, my understanding is that the system cancels EGR usage and it won't bother you.
        If the EVR is allowing the EGR valve to open at incorrect times, that is undesired behaviour and will cause a miss.
        Best thought at the moment is that the new EVR is either defective or designed wrong (e.g. for a different vehicle with a valve that has some varying specification that makes this not work here)

drhill out of curiosity, what new EVR did you purchase (brand and part number)? And is the plastic cap on top gray or black? I have no insight as to why I'm asking this at the moment, just data collection in my brain.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

it was a standard motor products VS77, grey cap. My OEM one is black cap....

For now I'm just leaving the EGR vacuum hose off the EGR and capped. I'll figure out smog but since it runs fine I can live with it like that unless I'm giving up a lot of MPG etc?
          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

If the battery was not disconnected, that may be required for proper operation as learned data may need to be relearned with the new part. Not sure if the EVR is included in that learned stuff though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Can stick a vacuum gauge on the green line to confirm what its doing. Probably have to tee it in with the EGR valve since the system does indeed stop trying to do stuff if it doesn't see the position sensor respond. if its behaving itself it should gradually increase vacuum, if its being dumb it will just switch full open.

At idle it shouldn't be getting any vacuum. if it is, maybe unplug the electrical connector and see if the valve is being commanded open for some reason, or if its got a problem that is passing vacuum when it should not.

as for the VSS thing I really have no further detail. My car had VSS codes because I have a later mass air ECM in there, and in 1986 there was no VSS signal to the ECM. I just ignored it since I really didn't think it mattered. At some point I decided to hook up the VSS wires just to make the code go away. It also changed the behavior of the off-idle hesitation that I had been ignoring for a long while. Further poking using a vac gauge and a simple "what happens with it plugged in vs what happens with it not plugged in" indicated that the EGR vacuum signal was different with and without the VSS. Why? Not a clue. That also ultimately led to finding out the EVR not acting as a regulator but as a switch, and cleaning it made the problem go away completely.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

RE Grey vs black - I don't know if it matters or not, but I've seen both parts offered and both parts on varying vehicles.
                My 91 has a black top part which I installed 10 years ago, it was BWD which I'm pretty sure is one of Standard's sub-brands, I think.
                When I recently bought a new one, I was suspicious that it has a grey top, but haven't figured out the relevance yet as I didn't need to use the part to solve my problem.

Are the vacuum lines the original setup with the molded plug for the connection to the valve? If they are replacement lines, maybe they are reversed? I think they must be connected a specific way or the EVR flows vacuum wrongly, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

yeah they do have to be connected the right way. I don't remember what happens if they are backwards but it definitely doesn't work correctly.

not sure the cap has much to do with anything. I think the one on my car now is a grey top aftermarket, original was black. That cap holds a foam filter to keep dirt out of the EVR. The foam is prone to breaking down and turning to dust after a while on originals.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I will hook up a vacuum gauge and do some testing. preliminary results found that I do have some vacuum at idle at the EGR with EVR plugged or unplugged. I'll get better and more detailed info shortly

Comment

Working...
                    X