Small Distributor Cap Mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Distributor Cap Mod.

I've been doing small block ford stuff for almost 25 years, and I was today years old when I learned of this hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ8zjOdz1rE

This is GREAT information!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

to ask the obvious question, why? The big cap was to allow increased spacing between towers to reduce risk of cross-firing.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's important to note that despite cosmetic similarities, this almost certainly cannot be done with the TFI distributor because the cap adapter bolts on, rather than being held on with clips that could then also hold the cap on. Now, perhaps there is yet another application of cap that bolts on and would work in the case of the TFI unit.

And while DS does exist in Panthers (I own a car so-equipped), the majority of them that remain are probably TFI cars.

But also +1 on gadget's remark because my understanding was the wide spread on the cap was not without reason.

Current driver: wagon
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Clearance for intakes & looks. I have sloppily replaced plenty of plug wires laying all over each other over the years, I've never had "cross fire" miss problems. Maybe if you're running vintage solid core wires. Here's his small cap solution for TFI. (not affiliated with the channel or these products.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gADQZ8qRhS4
          Last edited by JeffBoudah; 01-28-2024, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Good information. I've never experienced crossfire between cylinders before and I'm thinking it's less of an issue nowadays with current wire technology.

I kinda like the bigger cap but have experienced some tight fitting air cleaner to wire scenarios and this would fix it.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Small cap could be great for retrofitting electronic ignition to older Fords, keeping it looking original and without aftermarket parts.
              With an old type cap (female terminals), you could also use an old type plug wire set instead of a Duraspark specific set where all but one wire end is the HEI/female type.
              I like the look of the small cap, but ugh those wires that go straight up from the dist. cap are another story
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I've had random misfires on HO motors fixed by re-routing wires. Not solid core, and not ancient wires. They were just laying in there with no clips. Did the old zip tie separator trick to get them apart and the problem went away. Haven't owned a lopo in so long I have no idea if separating whichever two cylinders are sequential like the official wire routing says gets rid of the "lopo miss" or not. Its been almost 20 years now since my car had one.

honestly I don't spend that much time looking at my engines. If I'm looking at it, the hood is up and that must mean its broken. Anymore I'd rather be looking across the top of the hood.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

7-8 and yeah... separators on the 88 and it started running a little smoother. Kinda miss that car at times... not often though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So don't do it, if you need the clearance there you go. simple.
                    Last edited by JeffBoudah; 01-31-2024, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I learned this back when I had a 351 P72. I bought an MSD cap, and it said it included the "cap adapt", and I was curious what that meant. I did a little research. That was 15 years ago, and at that time I remember seeing things where folks didn't recommend the smaller cap because of cross fire, like Thain said. Never thought much about it, but certainly useful if you had a situation with spatial constraints.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                      X