Slide pin/caliper bolts breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slide pin/caliper bolts breaking

Since I’ve owned my 85 I’ve had a problem with the tip breaking off the slide pin/caliper bolts on the driver side, any place I could get the rubber guides or anything?

The rubber boot things are categorized as a "disc brake hardware kit" generally. They are available. RockAuto lists them and they can be had for just a few bucks.

Your local parts store would also have, or be able to get them.

I'm not sure exactly what force would be applied to it to cause that but it seems unusual. I know I've driven a box with those missing and I tend to be hard on my brakes, and never broke the slide pin bolts. I'd take a careful look at the way everything is fitting together and make sure it all makes sense. I suppose they do provide some impact dampening so maybe adding the boots will be all it takes to correct it.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
      The rubber boot things are categorized as a "disc brake hardware kit" generally. They are available. RockAuto lists them and they can be had for just a few bucks.

Your local parts store would also have, or be able to get them.

I'm not sure exactly what force would be applied to it to cause that but it seems unusual. I know I've driven a box with those missing and I tend to be hard on my brakes, and never broke the slide pin bolts. I'd take a careful look at the way everything is fitting together and make sure it all makes sense. I suppose they do provide some impact dampening so maybe adding the boots will be all it takes to correct it.
      I’m sure the rural Oklahoma roads don’t help lol

Comment

something is very wrong if the pins are breaking. Even without a rubber bushing there shouldn't be any way the caliper can move enough to break that thing. Heck, one of the common things for Mustangs was to dump the rubber for metal parts

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can't say I've ever seen that happening myself. Something strange indeed is happening.
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Until I used red thread lock I had a problem with them backing out really bad to the point where between that and the bolts breaking my driver front tire sounds like a Walmart shopping cart wheel that’s flopping around frequently

Comment

also not normal. I haven't run stock box brakes in many years but the Mark VII and the Conti both use the same calipers and pins. Never had a pin come loose or suffer any sort of noticeable damage on any of them. I've replaced them for rust reasons, and then usually only when new ones came with the caliper because it was easier to stick in a new part than to clean the rust off.

I wonder if the spindles are damaged and causing a poor thread fit or something. If the whole pin is slopping around in the threaded hole it may cause some trouble.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 91merc View Post
                Until I used red thread lock I had a problem with them backing out really bad to the point where between that and the bolts breaking my driver front tire sounds like a Walmart shopping cart wheel that’s flopping around frequently
                Check the wheel bearings and rotor. Maybe it is flopping around like a Walmart shopping cart wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Squire89 View Post

Check the wheel bearings and rotor. Maybe it is flopping around like a Walmart shopping cart wheel.
                  after I tighten up or replace the caliper bolts the noise will go away, but the hole where the bolt goes through the outer pad has worn out a little so it still has a slight rattle but pretty much unnoticeable

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post

those rubber boots ended up being the culprit for the rattling and now the bolts aren’t breaking and I have better pedal response, and the warped rotor feeling in the pedal is gone. Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X