No flow/pressure in rear on initial bleed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No flow/pressure in rear on initial bleed

Finally got a chance to bleed the brakes on the vic today. Keep in mind literally everything hydraulic but the calipers have been replaced. Lines, master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders, everything. They're all new or off a known good car, but obviously neither is a guarantee.

Anyway, starting from an empty system and bench bled master cylinder, I let it gravity bleed. I got some fluid at the front calipers. I got none at the rears, at all. I closed the bleeders and went for the pressure (pump and hold) bleed, and have nothing at the rears at all after 6-8 cycles of pump and hold. No change in master cylinder level and I don't even feel a puff of air when I hold my finger over the bleeder and open it with the pedal depressed.

My next steps for tomorrow are to quadruple check all my connections and try to pick up a vacuum bleeder to try and suck the fluid out to the rears. I'm somewhat fearing a dead master cylinder though, which would be a real beyotch and expense to fix. I'm guessing I can eliminate the master by pulling the between the master cylinder and the distribution block and then depressing the pedal?

Has anyone had an issue like this before? Any theories? Could it be related to the valve/distribution block thing the lines go through under the master cylinder?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

I have a theory...Isn't there a check ball in the brake splitter/distribution bock that is supposed to move if you blow out a brake line, and cut off brake fluid to the line that blew? It could be possible this got stuck, this would especially make sense if you gravity bleed it, no pressure there to push the ball over the rear hole. You could try tapping it with a wrench...or take off the rear line going to it, at the block, like you said, and see if fluid comes out, at least this would confirm you are getting brake fluid to it. I would not depress the pedal to do this, as it would suck air back into the master cylinder, it should just flow out naturally.

Just another thing to note from my own experience. When i tried to vacuum bleed the rear brakes on mine, it would not work, IDK if that is related to the same check ball, or another issue (wheel cylinders sucking in air from the seals??)

EDIT: Oh also, does the pedal slowly sink and then bottom out? or is just really spongy and goes lower than normal? If it sink that would be a symptom of an internally leaking master cylinder, but since you have so much air in the system it will be hard to tell..
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I think there was at least some pedal feel coming in after the fronts, but we literally just pumped and then opened the bleeder once on each side on the front to confirm flow.

I was suspecting the dist. block too, so I guess that's my next step.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

I don't know if it helps but the distribution block under the master in my car only goes to my front lines. Top comes from the forward port on the master to the block. Back goes to driver's side caliper, bottom goes to passenger's side caliper. The line coming down in the foreground is the brake line to the rears that goes under the firewall and back.

Here's a pic:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Image072820141852561.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1276075

Edit: I didn't know about the check ball. That definitely didn't happen when my rear wheel cylinder blew out. My whole master emptied out all over my rear drum.
        Last edited by slack; 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Weird. That's a different one than the one I had, and the one I installed from another car. Mine absolutely does connect to both MC lines and the 3 (rear + 2 front) lines. Do you have the metal capped master cylinder, or the newer one with the plastic reservoir and screw cap?

Comment

Ah. That might be why. I have the newer master with the plastic screw cap. Didn't even think of that. Sorry.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

If you have this valve with the old master cylinder, this actually has a reset button on the end of it to press when this happens. If that doesn't want to fix it, give it some gentle taps with someone playing with the pedal in combination with the button...

Name:	brake valve.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1276076

Current driver: wagon
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Sweet. I would not have found that. Will check back in the next hour with results

Comment

I did not know about that either! Pretty sure the ball gets stuck in the middle and do not operate as designed over time. it did not work when i blew my rear line either, nor did the brake light come on...lol. Good luck let us know if it works.
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I noticed that the newer one has a rubber "squishy" section in the back of it. I had no idea what it was and couldn't see it from above either. I'm wondering if that's similar to the reset switch of the older model?

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

Name:	brake_proportioning_valve.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1276078
                    Last edited by slack; 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

The rubber thing is the reset button. If nothing happens when you push the end, try tapping it lightly to see if it un-sticks. Its got a shuttle valve in there that stops up the open end of the system if something fails. Its also what is supposed to activate the red BRAKE light.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Switch was stuck, the one towards the back of the car (near the lines for the front). Swapped for a block with that moving freely. Same issue. Brake pedal depressed, removed line going to rear brakes at dist. block and there is no sign of brake fluid at all at the fitting or in the line.

Comment

Can I hold the rubber thing in while someone pumps to bypass? Seems my issue is as long as there is all air in the rears and some pressure in the front, it'll keep slamming flow to the rears shut. However, that two 25+ year old blocks have not let any fluid at all bypass seems very unlikely.

Comment

Do you have one or two lines exiting your master?

If two, then fab up a short brake line run from the "rear" port which just dumps back into the reservoir. That will show what is being pumped out. Should be very strong flow.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I THINK I ended up solving it, but I ran out of time to actually confirm by getting fluid to the rear wheel cylinders before the shop closed up for the night.

I pulled the line leading to the right front wheel, and the line to the rear, at the distribution block. This, in combination with holding the little button thing described, allowed fluid to finally spurt out of the distribution block where the rear brake line goes. I was then able to get flow from there again with the line to the right front tightened, but a front bleeder left just barely loose enough to let some fluid out. I could also feel the button/piston on the distribution block move outwards, meaning towards the part of the front lines. holding it back in allowed flow to the rear, confirming that it was the failsafe system restricting fluid to the rear. Leaving the bleeder open meant minimal pressure in the front, so no pressure differential.

Hopefully I can just bleed the rears with one front bleeder open, and then tighten up the rears and work on the fronts. MitchellOnDemand implies that the fronts are less sensitive and less likely to be blocked off because of the proportioning valving related to it being a disc/drum system. Fingers crossed.

Do you have one or two lines exiting your master?

If two, then fab up a short brake line run from the "rear" port which just dumps back into the reservoir. That will show what is being pumped out. Should be very strong flow.
                              I was sort of doing the same thing but messier, disconnecting the lines at the distribution block from the master cylinder, and confirmed good flow from both lines exiting the master.

Comment

Working...
                              X