Transmission fluid leak at cooler fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission fluid leak at cooler fittings

The lower transmission cooler line on the Mark VI has started to leak around the line right where it goes into the fitting on the radiator. I’m guessing the o ring is shot. Do I need a quick disconnect tool to remove the lines from the fittings and if so which one? Also once I have the line out and the fitting out of the radiator how do I get the plastic clip out off the fitting so I can replace the o ring?

Edit: I ordered new Dorman fittings since they were $6 each. Still not sure which quick disconnect took I need if any. I saw a Lisle that said it was for 5/16” line, but it sure looked awful big on the outside.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 03-07-2023, 04:24 PM.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

The ones I have are the real basic plastic collar with the slot cut out, but I think any of them ought to work. If mine iisn't the Lisle 37000 it looks just like that set. You have to push it in enough to move the fingers on that plastic bit at the back end of the fitting out so it will release the line.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Look at Powerbuilt set 648650: https://www.amazon.ca/Powerbuilt-All...dp/B00266ZQ00/

The tool with the long metal handle is the one I've found that fits nicely in the factory fittings. Versions of it can be found in cheaper sets as well, that's just the one I could find a photo of.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Those are nicer tools and I've used them before. I've just had this plastic set for many years and its always gotten the job done so I haven't really felt the need to buy something else.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What I recently found great was the Lisle companion tool It makes things easier.

here it is on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Last edited by jaywish; 03-07-2023, 11:17 PM.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

That’s what I thought I was looking for. I saw one earlier that was 5/16” on one end and 3/8” on the other. The fittings will be here tomorrow so I’ll pick one up and give it a try.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

Not sure which post you were responding to but the tool I posted is a companion accessory to the basic Lise kits #'s 37000 or 39400 which are the actual insert tools. These pliers just make it easier.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                Look at Powerbuilt set 648650: https://www.amazon.ca/Powerbuilt-All...dp/B00266ZQ00/

The tool with the long metal handle is the one I've found that fits nicely in the factory fittings. Versions of it can be found in cheaper sets as well, that's just the one I could find a photo of.
                That's a nice kit. US link: https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-6486...dp/B00266ZQ00/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I got it fixed last night. Bought two new Dorman fittings, part # 800-608. Unfortunately the plastic clip on one of the new fitting broke inserting the metal line so I had to reuse the clip out of the old fitting. But it's no longer leaking.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X