Led bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led bulbs

Changed all bulbs to led bulbs and put electric flasher in now I don’t have turn or hazard or brake lights.what did I do wrong

The electronic flashers which direct-fit into the 2 prong socket require a certain minimal amount of current flow to operate their own internal electronics. Since the path to ground goes through the bulbs, when 100% of the bulbs are LED, some of the flashers just don't work.

To prove this, swap any one of your light bulbs back to incandescent and verify that the flasher flashes. If it does not, the flasher itself may be defective.

There are flashers which are sold that have an extra dedicated ground wire, and those ones should work when 100% of bulbs are LED.

Are your cluster indicator bulbs also LED? I'm surprised those aren't enough to let it work, if they aren't LED.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

What’s a good led electronic flasher.cluster indicator bulbs are LED​

Comment

EL-12 is the direct swap electronic flasher. It does still need one bulb or a resistor on each side to work properly. Otherwise I think you would need one of those 2 prong flashers with the added wire and ring terminal to tie to chassis ground. I don't remember which model flasher that one was. EL13 maybe?

But yeah, if nothing flashes, try putting one real bulb back in and see if it works. If so, add a "LED swap resistor" to each tail light or front blinker. That should sort it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
          What’s a good led electronic flasher.cluster indicator bulbs are LED​
          I have not had to buy one to solve this problem, because I keep incandescent bulbs in the front turn signals.
          This is just an example, I realize .ca is not the right Amazon for you, and I'm also sure there's a cheaper one somewhere else: https://www.amazon.ca/United-Pacific.../dp/B075G5XX5K

The basic idea is that rather than grounding its internal timer circuit and relay through the lighting circuit through the bulbs, it grounds those functions through the wire, so the relay just toggles the circuit on/off, which should solve your problem. Sly is also correct that a resistor should do the job as well, if there's a spot you feel like mounting and wiring one in, and maybe you already have a baggie of them because Amazon only sold them in a 10-pack when you needed 2 for a project, 10 years ago. I know I do lol.

I have bought the Scott Drake adjustable electronic flasher a long time ago when I was trying to tune my sequential turn signals to my liking, and didn't really end up liking the flash rates it offered, but it does work for this application as well as it has the extra ground wire. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-stlevf13350

Current drivers: wagon + 91
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

yeah... that's the flasher I was thinking of... that United Pacific 90650.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

and people wonder why my cars still run original type bulbs and thermal flashers like they were built with 40 years ago.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah... but with the way people drive around here... getting as much light as possible coming out of those old dull tail lights saves my neck from further injury. Kinda why I did it.

Comment

Yes the substitution of a two prong electronic flasher with a ground pigtail is the easiest option that should work just fine.

Same as Sly just 1/2 price
                  This one worked for me
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/141586901963
                  United Pacific #
                  S90650​
                  Last edited by jaywish; 05-02-2024, 02:03 PM.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Put led flasher in it works but my right side arrow doesn’t light up in cluster it worked before and still no hazards or brake light's. Went under dash checked wires and found one unknown black connector with male pins and don’t know where it goes
                    Attached Files

Comment

That looks like part of the brake light switch stuff.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Anybody got pictures of the brake light switch connector?
                        found mysterious plug now I have to find the brake light switch plug
                        Attached Files

Comment

Brake lights work now found other off set plug on top of steering column.still no hazards and right arrow in cluster

Comment

The arrow in the cluster may be bad timing bulb burn out. The hazard flasher is on the back side of the fuse box. So yeah, need 2 flashers.

Comment

Led Bulb is good switched and worked.do I need a led flasher or a regular flasher for hazard?

Comment

Working...
                              X