3G Alternator swap progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3G Alternator swap progress

I have all of the wires spliced and ready to go. Now I have to figure out if I can get a longer belt or I seriously have to grind on the bracket (Which I really really don't want to do)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1407517837700.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1302568

Name:	1407517837380.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1302569

Name:	1407517837076.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1302570

Name:	0808141742.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1302571
    Proud owner of a 1989 Crown Victoria LX LTD
    • Restored The Car Back To Running Conidition
    • Has a very well respected and cared for 107K miles on the odometer
    • Rebuilt 4 speed AOD Transmission *Original Trans Still in Car*
    • Rebuilt Front End with New Hub Assembly
    • 3rd Owner (Car has been in the family since 91)
    • They don't make cars like this anymore so it will be a definite keeper!

Would someone be able to help me out with finding a longer belt? Maybe someone who did the swap and chose not to grind on the bracket. And will a longer belt have any performance drops or cause mechanical issues?
    Proud owner of a 1989 Crown Victoria LX LTD
    • Restored The Car Back To Running Conidition
    • Has a very well respected and cared for 107K miles on the odometer
    • Rebuilt 4 speed AOD Transmission *Original Trans Still in Car*
    • Rebuilt Front End with New Hub Assembly
    • 3rd Owner (Car has been in the family since 91)
    • They don't make cars like this anymore so it will be a definite keeper!

Comment

The other option i have heard of others doing is swapping the pulley from the 2G onto the 3G alternator to be able to get the belt on.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Gates K060507 (which should be a 6K507 in other brands) is the right belt if you're using the stock 3G pulley that was used on Vulcan 3.0s, not sure if all 3Gs use the same.

It's a bit of a funny size, it's kind of in between popular ones, but it's a belt that exists and at least some parts places do have it. K060505 was slightly too snug I believe but you might be able to slip it over with some effort (and K060500 is stock).

Current drivers: wagon + 91
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Looks like (according to Autozone's website)
          K060507 cross-references to 510K6 and effective length is 50.98 in. outside circumference of 51.54 in.
          K060505 cross-references to 505K6 with effective length of 50.59 in. and oc of 51.15 in.
          K060500 cross-references to 500K6 with effective length of 50 in. and oc of 50.56.

I was actually able to get the stock size (500K6) on without any modifications, although some time later I had the belt off and had a hard time getting back on.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I chose to grind the bracket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used a 94 mustang gt alt an didnt have to grind anything off. Using same oem belt aswell.
              1991 Grand Marquis LoPo 5.0

Comment

Depends what pulley you use if you have to grind anything or not.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

There must be a couple different versions of the housing, since I didn't have to do any grinding for the adjustment sliding, but I did have to grind the bracket for the alt to sit flush against it with the adjusting bolt tightened down.

The lip on the end of the pulley is too tall to slip the stock size belt over without modifying the power steering bracket thing to allow more travel of the alternator. In my case I decided the best way to do it to simplify a swap in the future is just go bigger belt and since it's a weird size, always keep a spare on hand (but then I'm also the guy who has a spare set of hoses, belts, all fluids, starter relay, ignition module, MAP sensor, vac lines, fuses, relays and TV cable in the trunk).

My 3G came off a late 90s Vulcan Taurus. Actually has a crack in the housing and has since I got it, but it seems not to be in a location that's stressed in this installation.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
                  Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                  | 88 TC | 91 GM
                  Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                  Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                    There must be a couple different versions of the housing, since I didn't have to do any grinding for the adjustment sliding, but I did have to grind the bracket for the alt to sit flush against it with the adjusting bolt tightened down.

The lip on the end of the pulley is too tall to slip the stock size belt over without modifying the power steering bracket thing to allow more travel of the alternator. In my case I decided the best way to do it to simplify a swap in the future is just go bigger belt and since it's a weird size, always keep a spare on hand (but then I'm also the guy who has a spare set of hoses, belts, all fluids, starter relay, ignition module, MAP sensor, vac lines, fuses, relays and TV cable in the trunk).

My 3G came off a late 90s Vulcan Taurus. Actually has a crack in the housing and has since I got it, but it seems not to be in a location that's stressed in this installation.
                    Haha I thought I was the only one who carried so much stuff.
                    1991 Grand Marquis LoPo 5.0

Comment

Working...
                    X