1Honey my '83 F-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1Honey my '83 F-100

Thought I'd start a thread here instead of adding to the 'Timing..' post.

After getting to know her a little and checking a few things, I believe the mileage to be authentic.
    The column is tight as is the ignition switch and door hinges, and the steering wheel and pedal pads don't show any significant wear. I read on a few sites that Ford may have continued the 'pony' idea from the late 70s Pinto, and a few other models into the F-100 up into 1983. My hopes are/were high it was a mysterious pony because it is a stripped down correct truck but I don't think it is. YET. Someone who knows more than I would have to show me.
    Enough typing. Here's some pix.
    Attached Files
    All FORD All The Time

Very nice, looks like a solid survivor. Was Ford still doing the "Swiss Cheese" frame in this year, or was that gone by 83? I've seen one truck with it in person and it's definitely unusual looking.

Every time I see one of your posts I Google Knoebels Grove because I've forgotten where it is (again). Being in PA, I take it underbody rust is as much a concern there as it is here. Pretty clean underneath?

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I know the 81 F150 my trailer is made from still has the holes. I think they were solid in the F150 starting in 83, but may have been kept in the F100 IIRC from what I read when researching my trailer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

From what I know about the "pony" F-100, It was the economy leader for the F100 line. There seems to be a difference with the fan blade.The Pony has the 7 blade 15" diameter blade. The others have either a 4 or 5 blade fan which would be 18" diameter. The upper radiator hose might be different too.
        Very little information is known about the "pony" other than it was the very base model. The Pinto Pony was the very basic no option model being a economy leader. Somehow Ford initially thought the Pony name should be on the entry level F100.
        Your truck looks great. Low mileage, Durable 300 cid 6, Well preserved. I would love to have a truck like yours however it would have to be 4wd.

Comment

I'll be doing some more research and pictures today. I also have read about the fan size and no extras approach so we'll see..
          I didn't see any Swiss cheese frame holes but I'll look again.

As far as underbody rust goes, it is definitely a factor and a concern in our area. My personal approach to dealing with it has changed over the last 10 years from my old used oil and white kerosene spray methods to now a descale and specific rust treatment product applied with a brush, paired with weekly washing underneath.
          It must be working because this 03 SuperDuty is still going. Rust free.
          I really like this stuff. Interstate products "one step" rust killer. Typical of all the products that turn metal black, but this stuff looks like coffee with cream and smells just like the stuff we used in the Navy.
          Attached Files
          Learn what Rust Converter One Step Killer & Primer does– your ultimate solution for safeguarding equipment, and surfaces from rust damage. Learn how to convert rust top-rated water-based Rust Converter, neutralizer, and primer coating products. Achieve professional results at a budget-friendly price with our extensive range of rust converters. Shop now!
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Definitely a low optioned unit.. no lighter, no intermittent wiper module to burn out from using the emergency brake, and I'm gonna need a dash plan. I found a guy making printed speaker hole covers that look OEM. When I hear from him, I'll share.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Might want to put a bigger air filter on there. I know that 1bbl is not exactly high CFM but I'm pretty sure my snow blower has more air filer surface area. Or 4bbl and split manifolds from an EFI models so it can actually move enough air to feed that much engine. The 300 is not a hotrod engine but they go a heck of a lot better when they can breathe.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                ... Or 4bbl and split manifolds from an EFI models so it can actually move enough air to feed that much engine. The 300 is not a hotrod engine but they go a heck of a lot better when they can breathe.
                This was basically day one as I got it.
                Your words are pretty much my engine plan.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

If any of you should come across an Offenhauser dual plane 4V intake for the 3hundie6, please connect me.
                  I've been sitting on a 390 Holley for years for no apparent reason and as it appears that reason has now appeared.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Here is a picture of a 300 6 cylinder on a 68 Ford Galaxie (Custom) on Ebay. I have been looking for a Ford Custom. Either a 65,66 or 68. this one is ok, Price is right. I am not thrilled with the interior work. Click image for larger version

Name:	68 ford 300 -6  4bbl.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	1393890

Comment

That is exactly what I'm after.
                      should you go forward on that car, i'd be interested in pieces and/or chunks of items in that photo.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Hey clutch, dug up some additional info for you to peruse regarding the intake upgrade.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-300-i6-2.html
                        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

..and so it begins...

All FORD All The Time

Comment

Twin Webers on a 300 six, definitely did not expect that! 38 DGASs I presume?
                            Gonna be cool!
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Very nice indeed.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X