Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 merc marquis brougham + GMGT rebirth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are the louvers slightly inset on the fender or just stuck on? If they have a little lip to set into, I think it would look awesome in the accent color. If they're just stuck on a regular fender, I think it would look a little tacky.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

They will be stuck on, till I gen get a set of fenders or, fender skin in the future. When I am done trimming and fitting them, they should look as if they are mounted as original. I have some ultra thin 3M tape for them. Tracking down the proper fenders(even ones in bad shape), is not easy.

If I could at least find some rusty or damaged fenders, I would cut the louver part out and have them put into the fenders that are on the car. I am kicking my self pretty hard because, I did not keep the fenders form my old car. I am a frickin' moron.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

if it's nice and flush... then the accent color would probably pop. Maybe someone with photochop can chop up a pic for ya.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I just read this entire thread and I've gotta say that the GMGT is awesome! Great job on it. Love the color too.

'93 T-bird
          '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
          '88 Mark VII
          '86 CV

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            I am a frickin' moron.
            Misery loves company

Try the trim color or chrome! You can always do them again 3 or 4 times :p

Pete
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
              I just read this entire thread and I've gotta say that the GMGT is awesome! Great job on it. Love the color too.
              Thanks mang! Lots of work done but, never completely finished lol.

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
              Misery loves company

Try the trim color or chrome! You can always do them again 3 or 4 times :p

Pete
              Can't do them over,once the chrome is on. To expensive I may just do trim color first and do a mock up. I guess I can always strip the paint, then re-paint. Like said, this is temporary till, I get the correct fenders(or, correct pieces from correct fenders).

The nice weather has me itching to get the car out. Really want to get the speedway springs in and start swapping the trim.

Comment

Sorry to dive into the thread without reading the last 28 pages but saw something about red accented fender louvres, maybe this will help with visualizing it.

Unfortunately this car is gone from the yard, but fortunately it seems to have been bought outright rather than crushed so maybe it's living on in pieces on someone else's ride. Detroit, Michigan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front quarter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1274049Click image for larger version

Name:	louvres.jpg
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1274050Click image for larger version

Name:	rear quarter.jpg
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1274051

Current drivers: wagon + 91
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

I'm kind of thinking body color, after looking at those pics. I do notice the red pin stripe on each fin though. Might be an idea.

Also, I hate to say it but, bed that car is ready for a derby somewhere. Lots of guys buy cars from the wreckers and run them. When done, give it back to the yard.

Comment

I like the accent line idea that that pic has better than a full on whole fin.

Comment

Well, I think that is what I will do. I have lots of pin stripe left over. Now, just need to get the car out from storage. Damn weather!

Comment

Well, was able to get the car pretty much cleaned up inside and out. Gauges, lowering springs and molding have been installed. Will get more pics up once I get the front bumper and new rims on. Hope that the rims show up next week. More little things to come as well. Such as, fender louvers, side mirorrs and such.

Name:	002_zps16d4883a.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1274559

Name:	003_zpsc4b88966.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1274560

Name:	004_zpsad63a8de.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1274561

Comment

Looking good dude!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Beautiful car. Good job !

Comment

Looks great!
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Lookin boss, mang!
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X