No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like what my Lopo wagon had, which was the Lopo knock. Of course it’s harder to tell from a file and not in person. I hear some clacking from the video when it’s colder, but the warmed up video sounds like a knock to me. But like other said, if that’s what it’s got, and it has oil pressure, it’ll probably go a long long time like that, assuming you’re not beating the piss out of it all the time
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

the lack of proper rhythm is what gets me though. Ever pull the belts off and see if it shuts up?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        the lack of proper rhythm is what gets me though. Ever pull the belts off and see if it shuts up?
        Haven't yet. Might aswell since I gotta tighten them and figure out what's making the belts squeak.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I'd be curious to see if removing the belts changes anything, too. It reminds me of an old IDI diesel engine but without rhythm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well now I have pulled of the belts, no effect on the clickyclack, its just easier to hear without the fan noise and else.
            Idler, altertator, water pump, compressor and PS pump all spin fine without tight spots. Though I found that the PS pump axle has a lot of axial play. Probably over 5mm.

I replaced the power steering return line, and while doing that I somehow made the pressure line leak even more... How does the valve fitting seal to the pump body? The line seems to just have an O-ring.

Comment

I once managed to get a similar noise out of my '91. I had been in a very long line of traffic that only creeped forward, and it was summer, and I had basically no oil pressure to speak of. After an extended period of time, a noise like that started and the engine vibration changed. After briefly blipping the throttle it went away.

My best guess at the time was that a lifter had collapsed as there wasn't enough oil getting to them to keep them all fully pumped up.

I don't know of a good way to verify this, just tossing it out there.

Current driver: wagon
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

If it were valve train noise, it'd ought to be more audible from up top, which it isn't in this case. I've got good oil pressure and fresh-ish oil so the lifters should hopefully be fine. Also it would probably have a rhythm to it aswell. The noise does disappear upon giving rpm though.

Power steering leaks vol 2 electric boogaloo: I replaced the O-rings on the feed valve and on the pressure hose. The bigger O-ring on the feed valve is a bit too big and it squashed out. But for atleast the 20 minutes before I went back inside it did not leak at all. I even ran the car for a while. Cleaned up the drip pan underneath and wiped everything around the pump. Time will tell if my repairs hold up, and if I used oil-resistant o-rings...
                This stupid power steering leak has been there since the day I bought the car in 2019, just now it became enough of a nuisance to not just top if off a few times a summer.

Comment

common black nitrile / buna o-rings are all you need. Green AC O rings also work fine. Power steering juice isn't real aggressive and doesn't need anything overly special for material.

the pumps do tend to have a lot of axial play, just the way the pump is built.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like a mechanic's stethoscope would be helpful (or a spare section of vacuum hose to the ear against various noise source candidates). If it's an irregular (not based on RPM) noise and it's not a half dead lifter... I'd look at heat shields, body mounts, cats (make sure the cats aren't cracked/damaged), exhaust knocking body/frame somewhere, and look for any loose bits in and around the engine/exhaust.

I just turn up the radio in mine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I can't hear shit, the clattering is way easier to hear without any tricks. There's a very faint ticking audible with my makeshift stethoscope from the lowest part of the intake between the dizzy and carb, and it doesnt seem to even match the normally audible clattering. Listening at the front and rear of the block, heads, timing cover, other parts of the intake, absolutely nothing audible. It is somewhere in the engine though, I do not find anything around it that would be making that noise. Might try to jam a pry bar between the engine to stop it from moving while running, see if that changes anything.

Also I did a thing:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20230503_144247.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1388262

SPOILER

Comment

Very nice mod. My biggest issue with the tiny lever provided is that I always end up stabbing my finger on some unknown sharp object (which I can't see if I look at it directly), and the pedal ends up slapping into my hand while operating the lever.

Starting in I believe model year 90, the parking brake pedal is a "push to apply, push to release" ratcheting mechanism. Much more user-friendly.

All of that being said, parking brake use in any part of North America where salt is applied to the roads is basically forbidden. They tend to be a one-time-use-only feature in the rust belt.

Current driver: wagon
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

Probably should use the parking brake just to exercise it and keep it working but can't remember when I used it last (being in the "Deep South").
                          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                            Very nice mod. My biggest issue with the tiny lever provided is that I always end up stabbing my finger on some unknown sharp object (which I can't see if I look at it directly), and the pedal ends up slapping into my hand while operating the lever.

Starting in I believe model year 90, the parking brake pedal is a "push to apply, push to release" ratcheting mechanism. Much more user-friendly.

All of that being said, parking brake use in any part of North America where salt is applied to the roads is basically forbidden. They tend to be a one-time-use-only feature in the rust belt.
                            Thanks.

Our vehicle inspectors would probably have an aneurysm trying to figure out a push to apply - push to release even with instructions in their face. Even with the auto-release working I had to write instructions... With my MGM rust related problems are non-existent since I don't drive it during the winter. The parking brake is used approx. twice a year, before inspection and during inspection.
                            On winter driven vehicles I regularly use the parking brake so it won't rust stuck, parking brakes are probably the most common way to fail an inspection.

Comment

my 86 Town Car has a release handle. Not sure if/when the other lines got them. The Mark VII never did though, the 91 has that stupid knuckle buster, the 84 Conti does too. I think those are even worse, its not just the little finger release like these got, its a bar that runs across the pedal so its impossible to pull it without the thing smashing the back of your hand. Thats the only reason I made an attempt at fixing the vac release system on that car but that failed and I'm not doing it again.

Comment

My 82 had a rigged up handle, the 88 has a more proper factory release handle. And the 90 has that aforementioned push to release which doesn't work quite right for whatever reason - it has to do it automatically or it will adjust the rear brakes for you.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X