kishy's 2005 Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After evaluating the tire situation, my conclusions were:
    • The winters are still healthy enough to be worth saving off-season for winter use, for one or two more winters
    • The all-seasons (the two pairs of used tires purchased 2 years ago) had enough tread to remain useful, but were in abysmal condition otherwise, being quite hard, cracked, and offering fairly poor traction.
    I decided to bite the bullet and just buy new tires to replace the all-seasons. Actual new ones, at retail in Canada, from a major chain so mom can easily get warranty service on them if necessary even outside of our home city. We aren't going to talk about how much this cost; retail tire cost in Canada especially when considering ancillary costs built into the purchase like mandatory disposal fees stings a lot. On the bright side, municipal waste transfer sites take as many tires as you want for free, so at least you get something for the government-mandated fees.

Car drives well on the new tires, road noise is very quiet, and aesthetically they fill out the wheel wells nicely. No complaints or regrets. General Evertrek GT (which is a Canadian Tire-specific variant of the Evertrek), with dates of 4523 and 4723, in 205/55R16. Stock is a 50 sidewall but that's a tricky size to come by, and 55 still leaves enough room before they run into the strut, so that's fine. 205/60 almost certainly would be too close for comfort, 215/55 may also work, but 205/55 works well and 205 width is stock.

2024-04-20 at 122,189km.

This also represents the change back from winters to all-seasons as the mounted tires.
    The transmission output seal is now on-hand but I need to get the 91 MGM mobile again before I attack that. Most likely the car will go back to mom in between and I'll borrow it back to do the seal.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

The price of new tires has gone up here maybe 30%. during the past year. plus the installation. I have had very good results with General tires. It seems that the tire stores are trying to pawn off those no name garbage tires. Good Year tires have gone down in quality as Good Year has sold the name to foreign companies. So most of the Good Year tires are not the tires we were used to.

Comment

Working...
      X