Cushion/foam for an 89 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cushion/foam for an 89 Marquis

My fabric is perfect but the seats are broke down, it's the 50/50 bench style with the center armrest (if that makes a difference) does anyone have a source for new foams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Any upholstery shop should be able to help out. Check under the seat and see if it's just the springs have cut into the foam. May just need to slot some sheet rubber in there between the springs and the foam to bolster the foam.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I would have an Upolstry shop redo the foam to redo the seats for you or you will feel lumps if you do it yourself, I did on my old car and I was never comfortable after my attempt at restuffing my seat.

Comment

I've taken apart one of these seats including separating the foam (which is a molded unit for each of the seat bottom and seat back) from the metal frame.

In addition to the metal rods that run under/through the foam tied into anchors molded into the foam with hogrings, there is a sort of metal 'net' (but wide spaced gaps in it, not like a fine mesh) that the foam will settle down onto when weight is applied to the seat. I've found that seems to be broken in all the driver seats of these cars that I've encountered so far.

Essentially, the foam may not be the problem. If the seat still feels plush but just sinks down and kind of bottoms out, but doesn't otherwise look crushed, I'd suggest you pull the seat out of the car, turn it upside down, and check out the structure of the seat. You may find something you can repair with, for example, wire coat hanger if you get creative.

Current driver: wagon
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

The wire mesh piece a person can buy at an upholstery supply store. That piece breaks often and is not very expensive. The whole seat has to come apart to replace it so a person might as well build up the foam under the original piece. A piece of burlap should be placed between the wire mesh and the foam to help prevent cutting of the foam. I have not found a source for oem seat foam for panthers. IF you can get a part number from Ford, one day you might get lucky finding one.

Comment

I will look into all of that, thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic

Comment

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever added lumbar support to one of these? I've been halfass thinking of trying to steal a power lumbar rig out of a 90s model and back-fitting it to my 86. I'm not an old lady with hunchback syndrome and the lack of anything down in the lower back area causes me discomfort after a while. I've been driving with a towel folded up back there for years but I'd prefer a less kludgey solution.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X