Mexico Wagons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexico Wagons

Was reading an article and it mentioned the "Ford Grand Marquis Country Squire", and it being available in Mexico.

Found some possible examples of this monster, although I think some may be cobbled together of parts of other cars.

https://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/...fol_auto=26848

This one might be legitimate. Definite Country Squire badging and Ford emblem on the tailgate. But with a newer nose swap. Ford interior with the Mercury B-pillar lights.

https://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/...fol_auto=35024
    At first I thought this was all Ford but those taillights are not.

https://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/...fol_auto=34221
    Next up also seems to be legitimate example. Ford interior and Mercury tails. Hard to tell on the badging other than a Ford on the tailgate. Seems to have a newer Mercury grille and a Ford Bumper.

https://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/...fol_auto=34540
    This one is a definite Mercury Colony Park, non-Ford. But it seems to have Grand Marquis badging also.

I find the Mexico cars very interesting. Uniquely different from what we got in the rest of North America.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

The Mexico cars are definitely something else. Mercury wasn't a thing down there, so usually whenever you see a '79-'87 Grand Marquis, it'll have a block letter 'FORD' emblem over where the Mercury script should be.

The '79-'82 nose obviously has some more variation to what might have appeared though. Seems all the Marquis got the Ford dash with a metric speedometer, but with interior seat designs we never got. With regards to the wagons, I've seen a Marquis Country Squire listed online before with that Ford LTD nose and Colony Park tail end. Makes me wonder if a true Colony Park ever existed with the right nose, or if all Marquis wagons down there were Ford nosed.

Just for fun, here's an '82 Marquis sedan:

All these early cars until SEFI appeared also seem to sport mid 1970s style engine equipment and accessories. All that stuff looks like it was pulled from a 1975 Ford car that had a 302, with the exception of the C-II power steering pump.

edit: I was watching that video again, and I noticed the odometer has a font style similar to that of my Comet, and lacks the tenths slot like Canadian metric clusters I've seen. It also lacks 'Unleaded Fuel' labeling and displays a SelectShift transmission shift pattern, not an AOD.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 02-11-2024, 11:51 PM.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      Ford bumper on that one.

There's a second image embed in your reply but it isn't displaying and the URL doesn't work for me.

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      Just for fun, here's an '82 Marquis sedan:

All these early cars until SEFI appeared also seem to sport mid 1970s style engine equipment and accessories. All that stuff looks like it was pulled from a 1975 Ford car that had a 302, with the exception of the C-II power steering pump.
      Some weirdness going on with that air cleaner and the intake tubing. Looks like an owner got their hands on the US/CA market intake tubing and attached it to the air cleaner they had - whether it was stock on the car or otherwise, I obviously don't know, but that is the CFI and factory carb US/CA intake tubing installed on the wrong side of the car.

Agreed that the accessory setup is pretty unlike what I've seen on these cars in our markets, even very early ones.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post

Ford bumper on that one.

There's a second image embed in your reply but it isn't displaying and the URL doesn't work for me.

Some weirdness going on with that air cleaner and the intake tubing. Looks like an owner got their hands on the US/CA market intake tubing and attached it to the air cleaner they had - whether it was stock on the car or otherwise, I obviously don't know, but that is the CFI and factory carb US/CA intake tubing installed on the wrong side of the car.

Agreed that the accessory setup is pretty unlike what I've seen on these cars in our markets, even very early ones.
        Here's a '84 engine bay:

The air cleaner deal seems to be a Mexico setup.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Interesting on the lack of AOD. I'm going to put a guess on the complete powertrain as being lifted out of one of their F-series trucks. I think their belt drives were a similar setup.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Any idea where these were built? Doesn't make sense to have such different accessory drives and such if it was sharing production lines with US/Canada cars.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wikipedia says they were made in Mexico from 82/84, and imported thereafter. Been casually looking for some direct from Ford information, but I can't seem to dig up much.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
              X